Echo CS-501SX, User Opinions

R Mac

I'm looking at getting saw to sit between my CS-450 and CS-8002, like the look of the CS501 but also considering the CS-620SX.

Tempted by the weight/power ratio of the 501

If you use a CS-501 what's your opinion? pro's & con's, what's the max bar length you've used, anyone running a 20"/50cm bar?

I'm looking at getting saw to sit between my CS-450 and CS-8002, like the look of the CS501 but also considering the CS-620SX.

Tempted by the weight/power ratio of the 501

If you use a CS-501 what's your opinion? pro's & con's, what's the max bar length you've used, anyone running a 20"/50cm bar?

I have one running 3/8 lo pro 16" bar. It is a lovely light nimble saw for smaller stuff - I am going to go down to a 14" or 15" bar though as the 16" just feels a little too long.... it drives it fine but as said just feels a little too long.

The 501 itself feels lovely to use - one of Echos new offerings that feels modern (like the 390ESX and 2510TES). Light, springy and easy to heft about.

Also have the 620SX - great solid saw but a larger heavier thing, less nimble but for a 20" bar it is the 620SX you want IMO.

:)

Local dealer got a 501sx in recently ,.325 with 18 inch bar. Though I haven't used one it feels fantastic , light and nimble . If it goes as well as its supposed to (and keeps running) it will give the husky 550 xp something to think about!! I would however like a shorter bar.

I recently bought a jons 70cc so will have to get saving again.

Thanks guys, should point out that I'm currently running 18" on the 450 and happy enough with performance, been using it in Ash and Beech at more than bar length dia. I tend to be happy to run at the upper limit on bar length.

• 4 years later...

Anyone else got opinions on the Echo 501? 

Im looking for a 261 replacement, been impressed with the little echo 2511 so wondering if the Echo would cut it against the stihl, or would i be dissapointed?

The Echo promo video is one of the worst i've seen! 

Anyone else got opinions on the Echo 501? 

Im looking for a 261 replacement, been impressed with the little echo 2511 so wondering if the Echo would cut it against the stihl, or would i be dissapointed?

The Echo promo video is one of the worst i've seen! 

Great saw. Takes about 30 tanks of fuel for it to loosen up and spin a bit faster. Like all echos.
Super lightweight. Mines on .325 16”. Great up in the tree. I wouldn’t have a longer bar than that on it.
My echo kit is the most reliable out of everything. I run a varied fleet of stihl husky and echo.
Echo hands down for reliability.
Doesn’t cut quite as quick as a 261 or 550 but better in other ways.
  • Like 1

I’ve had a 501 since April last year. Very happy with it. Like Rob has said above, the 16” bar was seemed to long on the saw. No problems running it and it’s probably all in my head but I fitted a 15” bar from Rob and much happier with it on a 15.

Equally the 620 I had was a very good saw, to me it was comparable to a 361. Lots of power, had mine on an 18. Only sold it because I managed to get a new 361. 
For day to day work I would grab the 501 over the 620. Would only take the 620 if had a lot of timber to ring. 

• Like 1