Discovery 3 - any experiences?

Tom at Heartwood

I'm looking for a comfortable and rugged 4x4 with 5 seats that will tow 3.5t without strain. I aim to work locally but still seem to end up spending a lot of time travelling to sites. I've looked at the various current double cab pick-ups that are rated to tow 3.5t but have my concerns about whether any of them are heavy and tough enough although fuel consumption is appealing. I like Land Cruiser Amazons and you get a lot for the money but fuel consumption is off-putting (and I'm a fan of Overlander Stan's imports as well).

It occurs to me that a Discovery 3 might suit my needs. Plenty of vehicle weight, powerful TDV6 engine and well regarded for regular towing as well as being comfortable for longer journeys. Fuel consumption averaging 30mpg (not towing), plenty around and probably as much useful space in the back as a double cab pick-up plus scope for a very big roof rack. The disadvantages seem to be electrical, parking brake and exhaust gas recirculation niggles so it would make sense to go for a basic model to reduce the number of things that can go wrong. I guess that they are a fairly complex vehicle with a new price tag to match so repair costs could be high.

I guess I would be looking for an unabused 2005/06 with 80k on the clock for around £7K.

It would mean a change in work style for me as I currently run a 1993 Iveco Turbo Daily 4x4 (which I'm very attached and would keep for local jobs) that accommodates tools, tool boxes, many different tubs of fuel and oil, swing lift, Jo Beau, bulk bags, logs, climbing kits etc. There just doesn't seem to be anything more modern and reasonably priced to match that has rugged 4WD, 3.5t towing capacity and all the room inside but some drawers and boxes and a good roof rack on a Disco would hold a lot.

Anyway, your thoughts and experiences of Disco 3 for forestry and arb would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Tom.

Hi Tom,

Iv had a D3 for about 18 months now it's a 55 plate 2.7 auto ( it replaced a landcruiser Amazon 100 series) so had a lot to live up to and at fist I regretted it but I have to say the D3 has grown on me and it's unfair to compare it to a LC anyway

My D3 has all all terrain tyres gets used hard for towing horse boxes big Ifors off road etc

All in all its a good motor it gets low 20,s around town and just over 30 mpg on a run

The only thing I don't like is the weak air suspension as it takes to long to adjust but at 11 years old probley due a new one

All in all lot a car for the money

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I looked into getting a disco , second hand and came to the consideration that you might as well get a Range Rover.

different tool completely, only 5 seats for starters.

Remember if your a nfu member you get an extra 5% off whatever price you haggle with the dealer.

Thank you for all the useful responses. I will continue to think through the options and test drive a few Discos. If the fuel economy of the D3 isn't so different to a Land Cruiser Amazon then the relative mechanical simplicity and longevity of the LC weighs in its favour even if the D3 is a better driving experience.

It's never straightforward is it? But interesting trying to work it out!

Cheers, Tom.

At the risk of derailing a thread that I started about Discos (which has been very informative and useful) I'm now thinking that if I do decide on an LC Amazon instead of a D3, then would manual or auto (early 3 or later 4 speed) be best? I guess it's down to personal preference. My work does include heavy trailer loads up and down steep and windy forest roads. There are far more auto 100 series about than manual and with the autos I presume that the later 4 speed was an improvement on the 3 speed. Earlier 3 speed autos do come up with lowish mileages (around 100K) for not too much money but if the 4 speed auto is much better then perhaps that is what I should be looking for. Perhaps I should start another thread but it is a theme within this one, sort of. Cheers again. Tom.

If you do get one, ask the seller about these common faults which will all cost you a fortune -

- cam belts as mentioned earlier

- front hub bearings which lasted only 80k on my first D3. You can feel the grumble from the front end just before they let go

- the air suspension hoses can work loose and rub, which leads to the pump running all the time and burning out.

- the HSE sunroof may was well be open all the time for the amount of water it lets in

- the suspension bushes are useless and only last 75k - reasonably big job for about £40 worth of parts. Some of the arms are cheaper to cut in two than try and remove.

- make sure its had the proper 3D wheel alignment. Few places can do this, and if not done properly (for example after replacing the suspension bushes) then you can wave goodbye to all 4 tyres in about as many weeks.

- electric park brake usually needs overhauling regularly - if not done then it will need it shortly

Other than that it's a great car to drive and tow with. Just be prepared to live with the running costs.

I can't write a full review as I've only had mine since December and was a Xmas present to myself.

I picked up a late 2007 auto commercial with 17k on the clock.

Having just done a trip to Wales and other long journeys the fuel economy was running around the 34.5 mark, my father's manual gets around 36+. Love the comfort and quietness, torque and general driveability. No towbar at present but have a full Witter to fit.

Have had no issues other than a brake calliper issue which was repaired under warranty.

Along with my 92 plate defender second best vehicle I have owned, part from my Caterham😂