Discovery 3 - any experiences?

Tom at Heartwood

I have a late D3 (2009) that I've done 150k in over the past 3.4 years, mostly fully loaded and a lot of off road, with a lot of towing too. Frankly, it is the best vehicle I have ever owned (and that includes 3 Range Rovers, D1 and D2 etc) It carries more than the 110 I had as my last vehicle, and the huge difference is that after a long journey you don't feel totally knac**red

EGR valves can be easily fixed (usually by blanking off), the 'big' service is not at 130k miles but earlier and/or at 7 years, Electric park brake has not been a problem for me at all. I'd suggest you avoid the HSE as their sunroofs can cause issues....

Plenty of good indy garages now have the skills to do the work on the D3 without having to pay main dealer prices, which can keep servicing costs down. My 150k service was £465 including front pads and discs and brake fluid change

Take a look at Disco3.co.uk and do your research - there are a lot of duffers out there, but that forum is well worth spending a couple of nights using for research before you make up your mind.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have 2 of them, whilst expensive to maintain I wouldn't change from them. One is 2005 and the other 2007. Have 100km on 2007 one and 200km on 2005 one.

Have done EGR valves and Park Brake switches on both at this stage. Rear drive shafts on both as well.

I am a landrover mechanic so work on these alot they are great vehicles but are expensive to look after but what can you expect from a truck that weighs that much and can do every thing you throw at it. I would look for one after 2008 as there have been oil pump failures on earlier ones and the electrical gremlins were sorted by then. Don't get a manual one as the clutches are made of cheese and if you get auto make sure you have gearbox oil changed or even better megaflushed. You will not be dissapointed if you get one but be under no illusions it won't be cheap to keep. There are diagnostic tools available for not silly money so no need to keep going to the dealers for fault codes. If you got any more questions just ask

Handbrake is only a problem if it is not serviced regularly and adjusted correctly. All parts are available at good prices advanced factors is your best place for parts they are spot on for any thing you need

Thank you for all the useful responses. I will continue to think through the options and test drive a few Discos. If the fuel economy of the D3 isn't so different to a Land Cruiser Amazon then the relative mechanical simplicity and longevity of the LC weighs in its favour even if the D3 is a better driving experience.

It's never straightforward is it? But interesting trying to work it out!

Cheers, Tom.

my wifes had wished for a d3 for a long time - so when the family car decided to pop its clogs one day I started looking at them as an alternative. we wanted the 7 seats, the ability to use the benefits of the 4x4, towing etc.

we don't do massive miles as a family - the odd camping trip or visit to folks - so fuel consumption wasn't a huge issue from a cost point of view.

the car tells us we are getting around 28mpg, but you'll get a lot less if your heavy footed or towing - and I should say I haven't tested the fuel consumption myself.

but there aren't many motors in this category which will return you 60 to the gallon either

I'd like to work out the annual cost difference between a motor which does 28 mpg and one that does 35 mpg, but its too late at night for that.

we bought it from a garage with a good rep - a 2006 with about 60k miles.

I wouldn't normally use a garage - choosing to buy private because of the little extra premium you pay.

within 3 months the air pump for the suspension played up - the garage sorted it without any quibbles.

touch wood - we haven't had any other major issues.

suspension bushes and brakes at services/mot time.

as others have said - they aren't cheap to run and make sure you buy a good one (this could be luck of the draw)

to look at it another way you could slip up and buy a duff example of an alternative vehicle and it could cost you a lot more.

I would say though - if I wanted 4 seats for the weekend and a work truck for the weekday Id probably buy a new ranger.