Show your tractors

Will Cobb

18 hours ago, openspaceman said:

Interesting and the chaps felling the ash knew where they were at; felling it flat on the fork to stop it splitting down the butt. It would have hammered over but they made the mistake of adding the tractor pulling for entertainment and they miscalculated  the rope length, it cost them a back window by the looks . I wonder if they reported a tree falling on tractor under RIDDOR.

It seemed strange they would skid logs out on that flat ground, even stranger to see a mill yard that muddy nowadays.

We only supplied beech to Smiths for Ercol but did attempt some woodmizered ash squares for another company that imported from the states

Indeed those chaps do know their stuff. His son is on here occasionally, he knows his stuff too. All a bit of a setup for the filming from what I gather. 

• Like 2

On 14/01/2022 at 12:38, openspaceman said:

Interesting and the chaps felling the ash knew where they were at; felling it flat on the fork to stop it splitting down the butt. It would have hammered over but they made the mistake of adding the tractor pulling for entertainment and they miscalculated  the rope length, it cost them a back window by the looks . I wonder if they reported a tree falling on tractor under RIDDOR.

It seemed strange they would skid logs out on that flat ground, even stranger to see a mill yard that muddy nowadays.

We only supplied beech to Smiths for Ercol but did attempt some woodmizered ash squares for another company that imported from the states

Hi Openspaceman.  

Just a little clarification. The window was smashed years ago (a little mistake with the anchors while loading her on a lorry). The tree wasn't felled on the tractor. It was felled on a go pro for dramatic effect.  (no need to report anything). Im not sure they would have showed a tree felling on a tractor on TV. 

The same with the Skidding. There just wasn't a forwarder on site. 

That 2 minutes of tele was over a days worth of filming. They cut 6 or so trees  some wedged and some straight felled. And this is what they ended up with.  They also did much more on woodland management and ADB but none of that ended up being used.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, lewiswood said:

Hi Openspaceman.  

Just a little clarification. The window was smashed years ago (a little mistake with the anchors while loading her on a lorry). The tree wasn't felled on the tractor. It was felled on a go pro for dramatic effect.  (no need to report anything). Im not sure they would have showed a tree felling on a tractor on TV. 

That 2 minutes of tele was over a days worth of filming. They cut 6 or so trees  some wedged and some straight felled. And this is what they ended up with.  They also did much more on woodland management and ADB but none of that ended up being used.  

Thanks for that. I'd have rather they showed more about the woodland and less sanding to be honest, but I guess it's entertainment show at the end of the day.

2 hours ago, lewiswood said:

Hi Openspaceman.  

Just a little clarification. The window was smashed years ago (a little mistake with the anchors while loading her on a lorry).

Yeah I went back and looked again on iplayer and saw it was already broken.

I certainly wasn't disparaging the skills of the workers. I am aware of the filmmaker's desire for hype and drama.

Okay, we would often have to skid big butts out but would stick longer (up to 40ft) bits on a trailer with the wheels set right back, to avoid mud getting on the timber. This did reduce the weight, and hence traction, on the county wheels so front weight had to be added in the form of a big log extended in front of the blade.

Where possible timber quality oak would be felled about now till March and brought out when the ground was better in May.

Shame, ask for the footage.

I am aware of how much ends edited out as I was involved in a day's filming a long time ago, I think only about 15 seconds ended up in the film but at least my 10 axe blows and the tree coming down was kept in.

How are the sawmills feeling about strength of diseased ash once milled?

7 hours ago, openspaceman said:

How are the sawmills feeling about strength of diseased ash once milled?

I'm honestly not too sure about the strength once milled but I know the market is still very good. Tylers are certainly buying a lot that we are cutting along with quite a bit going for export.  Heres some sawlogs from the last month 

AD9A9E28-3909-458C-BF3F-B9343E7ADDC1.heic CCCB7C24-5FBD-4B5C-AF43-A3C4FB3D75E3.heic 972A4A75-0D64-448B-B00F-3764C05DFC5C.heic A3315796-A93C-469C-BB9A-7058AB52BCC8.heic

FFC921C4-1596-4480-8F7C-E440C4D305F8.jpeg

AA3660F4-B320-434E-A2F1-F0DF732FFF62.jpeg

FB959216-D7DC-45E2-80A9-DD43675A9705.jpeg

4207A575-ED46-40E8-A1E6-8EC0C73C9704.jpeg

Edited by lewiswood
  • Like 4