Trailer snaking accident

jrose

• 4 months later...

As an aside and which could also assist others in not having the same sort of experience, although I tow a Sankey trailer with a NATO hitch, this hitch will work with any trailer with a towing eye.

This hitch swivels thus allowing the trailer to turn over with out it in turn turning over the tow vehicle.

Some trailers have the towing eye that swivels so there's a lock on the hitch which keeps it in place and allows the trailer to flip over that way.

If you check the video link below at 8 mins and 5 seconds you'll see a Sankey flipping over.

The other good thing about this hitch is it's quick to connect and disconnect.

I hope this helps somewhat.

On 20/06/2016 at 22:21, TimberCutterDartmoor said:

Sorry to hear this and glad you are ok.

Expert opinion I think states that braking or decelerating is the opposite of what you need to do; rather you should gently accelerate out of the snaking.

I had this with a sizeable caravan years ago and putting my foot down did indeed rectify the issue. Once the dramatics are over you can decelerate again.

Edit: high power if choosing to accelerate otherwise no brakes, just gear down on her.

This happened to me first time I took my caravan out behind my estate car. My mate is sat next to me an it started snaking hard ...... like over both sides of white line ! I tryed foot off gas ..then gently braked -  made it worse ..then floored it - which saved us ! Apperently I was talking myself thru everything that was happening and checking response - He just sat there after , staring at me ' well you worked that one out ! ' :P K

16 hours ago, Justme said:

Is the nato hitch type aproved?

Hi Justme

I've no idea....comes standard on army trucks put out to pasture to civilians.......one to look up.  

Unless otherwise stated I couldn't see why they wouldn't be as the army drive with these on public roads and they're not removed when disposal comes around?

:)

3 hours ago, Ohlins said:

Hi Justme

I've no idea....comes standard on army trucks put out to pasture to civilians.......one to look up.  

Unless otherwise stated I couldn't see why they wouldn't be as the army drive with these on public roads and they're not removed when disposal comes around?

:)

Most army vehicle wont be type aproved so dont need type aproved towbars.