Nissan Cabstar

samarb

Gotta be better than the van in yer profile pic! Cabstar is ideal or an Isuzu Grafter .

That van got my business of the ground, I owe it everything. I replaced it with a new Hilux and was the biggest mistake I've ever made! Now selling Hilux and buying another Berlingo.

I had a crew cab and thought it was brilliant but replaced it with a new Toyota Dyna MWB. Both are almost identical but find the toyota more powerful and carries a bit more weight. Three way tipper worth its weight in gold but like the cabstar the room space is limited but lovely to drive around the lanes etc.

A lad I know with one of these trucks fitted with an arb body got pulled by vosa, his passenger ( one) had to get a cab home because with a few tools in the locker the front axle was over even though there was virtually nothing in the tipper. I would suggest a lwb and no locker for this reason.

Bob

I've considered getting a newer "posh" 3.5t tipper but I've come to the conclusion that a 3.5t will be almost constantly overweight doing any kind of arbwork. I'm just going to stick to older models as they get hammered too much. We've had a good strong chipbox made recently and I'm thinking it will be best just to swap the box over when the tipper expires. If we can get two years out of a cheap tipper then I'll be happy

This will reduce our exposure to the big outlay required to finance a newer model tipper. I'm really not keen on spending big bucks on a truck that will never really be fit for purpose.

Having said that, the Japanese stuff does look more capable than the UK stuff and has the bigger engines.

I've considered getting a newer "posh" 3.5t tipper but I've come to the conclusion that a 3.5t will be almost constantly overweight doing any kind of arbwork. I'm just going to stick to older models as they get hammered too much. We've had a good strong chipbox made recently and I'm thinking it will be best just to swap the box over when the tipper expires. If we can get two years out of a cheap tipper then I'll be happy

This will reduce our exposure to the big outlay required to finance a newer model tipper. I'm really not keen on spending big bucks on a truck that will never really be fit for purpose.

Having said that, the Japanese stuff does look more capable than the UK stuff and has the bigger engines.

Why not go to 7.5t ? The jap ones are still quite narrow.

A lad I know with one of these trucks fitted with an arb body got pulled by vosa, his passenger ( one) had to get a cab home because with a few tools in the locker the front axle was over even though there was virtually nothing in the tipper. I would suggest a lwb and no locker for this reason.

Bob

On the new trucks we use on the railway work are fitted with scales and both transits and sprinters are over weight on the front axle with just people in the cab

Merc have had a go at sorting this problem by removing the passinger doulbe seat and replacing it with captain seats

I have the twin wheel and it's a better ride than my previous single wheeled one

I would happily buy another as long as not planning to run a 3 man team regular

If so I would go tranny type as just not enough room in cab for 3 all the time. Though ok with 3 occasionally.