Saw blade sharpening

Barton77

Just wondering what everybody does about getting their band saw blades sharpened.

Does anybody use the automatic blade sharpeners sold by Woodland Mills and Norwood or is it better to just send blades off to a saw doctor? I'm contemplating buying the little LM26 from Norwood and just wanted an idea of the cost/hassle of blade maintenance. When I've hired a mill in before I think I was charged around £20 per blade we used.

Thanks in advance.

Sharpen them yourself.

I sharpen and set every time. The reason for this is that the sharpener takes 9 minutes and the setting 4 minutes. So, I sharpen 6 blades an hour comfortably, saving me £72 an hour. Also, I've found far fewer issues with blades I've done than any saw doctor. I think that this is because I am using them, I can detect slight issues on set up and rectify them.

What sort of kit do you use for sharpening BigJ? Do you think the ones that Norwood and Woodland Mills supply would be up to the job? I wasn't sure wether if you send it to a saw doctor they will do a better job or if they just put the blade on the same machine I could buy for £600..

Blade Sharpener (Automatic) – | Woodland Mills United Kingdom

And when you refer to setting does that mean adjusting the angle of the tooth for hardwoods or softwoods?

I use Trak Met's sharpener:

Trak-Met : Pilarki, Owijarki, Traki : Sawmill machines - Sawmill machines - BAND SAW SHARPENER

It's quite a bit more expensive at about £1300 plus delivery, but it's much much quicker and I'm generally quite impressed. The setter was about £450. The set refers to the angle that the tooth is spread out. So, if looking at the blade from above (as it's sat on the sharpening machine), one blade is straight, the next bent out right, the next bent out left and then it's all repeated. A narrow set will result in easier progress for a machine with less power, but less accuracy as the blade is more prone to deviate.

The sharpener from Woodland Mills looks OK for the money, but there is not much to it.