Isa further education

Capstankid!

Hi, the reason that the Certified Arborist is a level 2 will be mostly due to it being a multiple choice exam, is not really to do with the level of knowledge. You can take the exam whenever you like if you book in for a Computer Based Test. Pearson Vue I think the company venues are but book through ISA HQ for the moment. Locations are widespread.

The exam questions are drawn from the Arborists' Certification Study Guide ISBN 978-1-881956-69-3 and other general literature. Hopefully sit down paper exams will return in the near future, if there's an update, it will be posted.

• 2 months later...

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fact that you can take the ISA theory exams at remote testing centers for me is great, and being able to self study as i could never make it to regular clasess of any sort due to contracting all over the place. I already held an ND in forestry and Arb which is level 3 and found the ISA Cert arb to be of similiar level on theory so feel it should be level 3. The questions on safety though all refered to the american and canadian standards. I did the cert about 6 years after my ND so for me it was a greaat refresher and I the commitment to gaining CEU's encourages to keep up with modern research and methods. ALthough based in Sweden i'm looking forward to what the future holds regarding the co-operation between the AA and ISA. MY ISA Cert has opened up new doors and gained me work even though its a lower level in the uk than my ND - internationally it is well looked upon. Also does anyone know at what level the other certifications are rated at in the UK - I plan to sit the BCMA exam at some point over the next couple of years.

• 5 months later...

There ahs been a discussion ( at the AA's Education and Training committee) about referring the ISA certifications to NARIC UK, which operates on behalf of the Government as the national agency for the recognition and comparison of international qualifications and skills. This would be the body which would look at the content of the ISA certifications and officially establish the level equivalence for the UK. I have a sneaking suspicion that someone ( possibly senior teccie Simon) was going to look into the costs and process for this.

BCMA is level 3. Both CA zand BCMA are a grade low in my opinion, some of the things covered in the cert arb isn't covered by some L3 courses over here, good quals though.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Arbtalk mobile app

Hello Ian, I hope you're well.

Whilst I don't have "a copy to hand", I'm sure a previous version of our Careers & Quals. leaflets, which included professional qualifications, listed Board Master Certified Arborist at level 4, certainly it was level 3/4.

Absolutely agree about them being good quals and very well recognized.

Cheers,

Paul

There ahs been a discussion ( at the AA's Education and Training committee) about referring the ISA certifications to NARIC UK, which operates on behalf of the Government as the national agency for the recognition and comparison of international qualifications and skills. This would be the body which would look at the content of the ISA certifications and officially establish the level equivalence for the UK. I have a sneaking suspicion that someone ( possibly senior teccie Simon) was going to look into the costs and process for this.

Hi Stuart, I understand this is "happening" and it is (junior :biggrin:) teccie Simon that is leading on it.

Will report back further when we have something definite.

Cheers,

Paul

Hello Ian, I hope you're well.

Whilst I don't have "a copy to hand", I'm sure a previous version of our Careers & Quals. leaflets, which included professional qualifications, listed Board Master Certified Arborist at level 4, certainly it was level 3/4.

Absolutely agree about them being good quals and very well recognized.

Cheers,

Paul

Thanks Paul, I could well be wrong, am I right that cert arb is level 2?

Thanks Paul, I could well be wrong, am I right that cert arb is level 2?

TBH Ian I think both qualifications were mapped against the NQF at the time somewhat informally, and yes CA was at level 2 and BMCA at level 4.

We are currently in discussions with ISA and NARIC, see Stuarts post above, to see if it is viable to more accurately determine the actual level as so many people, myself included, are of the opinion CA should be level 3 (someone posted yesterday its the nature of the exam, multiple choice, that limits the level, which could also be a factor...I don't know!)

Cheers, n hope today is a calmer day for you 'up norf',

Paul

TBH Ian I think both qualifications were mapped against the NQF at the time somewhat informally, and yes CA was at level 2 and BMCA at level 4.

We are currently in discussions with ISA and NARIC, see Stuarts post above, to see if it is viable to more accurately determine the actual level as so many people, myself included, are of the opinion CA should be level 3 (someone posted yesterday its the nature of the exam, multiple choice, that limits the level, which could also be a factor...I don't know!)

Cheers, n hope today is a calmer day for you 'up norf',

Paul

Thanks Paul, will wait and see what happens, what level was the tech cert? And why did the AA stop doing it?