Yield and saleability.

TheHungrySquirrel

After spending the past few years cutting firewood/chestnut coppice for people and not making any money I'm looking to try and buy some standing timber.

My problem is do I get firewood or chestnut for fencing?

I have the skills to process fencing and make decorative work with it but equally cutting and selling firewood roadside sounds appealing to me aswell.

Do any of you forestry worker have rough (I know it's hard to give estimates) ton to acre rates??

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

All depends on size of trees and what spec your cutting to.

Firewood by the lorry you mean? Its tough, many buy from people they have been dealing with for years,some dont like mixed loads other want pure species and only processor size material so you have to grade it out.

Chestnut you could sell by the blank but most only cut to fulfill there own orders and sell as a finished product as get a better return.

If you have all your wood cut and cant get it roadside its a lot of money sitting on the floor.

All depends on size of trees and what spec your cutting to.

Firewood by the lorry you mean? Its tough, many buy from people they have been dealing with for years,some dont like mixed loads other want pure species and only processor size material so you have to grade it out.

Chestnut you could sell by the blank but most only cut to fulfill there own orders and sell as a finished product as get a better return.

If you have all your wood cut and cant get it roadside its a lot of money sitting on the floor.

Cheers for that Steve.

I have been looking at some stands of syc/ash and birch with dbh of 6-10"

Yeah selling as cordwood in 2.4/3m whatever is preferred.

I have the means to make post and rail but no peeler for normal posts. I know a few guys with forwarders that can extract for £200-400 a day.

Hi Will, the roadside firewood business is a difficult one with lots of ways to work even harder than you have for even less.

Market flutuation/timber values, extraction costs, weather, your own cutting speed?

With your woodworking skills I would look at buying small pockets of quality chestnut and create bespoke fencing and gates, with the view to installation also.

Hi Will, the roadside firewood business is a difficult one with lots of ways to work even harder than you have for even less.

Market flutuation/timber values, extraction costs, weather, your own cutting speed?

With your woodworking skills I would look at buying small pockets of quality chestnut and create bespoke fencing and gates, with the view to installation also.

Thanks for that Dave that's a great reply.

I have seen a bunch of chestnut fencing and products lately and it's something to get making.

It's got to beat cutting for £1600 an acre in over stood hornbeam 😒

After spending the past few years cutting firewood/chestnut coppice for people and not making any money I'm looking to try and buy some standing timber.

My problem is do I get firewood or chestnut for fencing?

I have the skills to process fencing and make decorative work with it but equally cutting and selling firewood roadside sounds appealing to me aswell.

Do any of you forestry worker have rough (I know it's hard to give estimates) ton to acre rates??

Did you make the spoons in your photograph? Why not try to sell them?