Urban Tree Planting

roseyweb

I have been asked to do some Urban tree planting, I've planted loads of mature trees in my time but never dabbled in the urban stuff.

The bed in the first pic needs the tree replacing like for like.

The trees are in a concrete type thing I assume this is a permeable surface which moves and grows with the tree.

I also assume to re plant I would have to break this out and re-soil and re surface.

Am I correct and does anyone know what its called or any literature on this?

Also a bonus point to anyone who can identify the species of cherry.

Thanks

James

x

597671356415d_IMG_72921.jpg.8fa4eb9b49d97a338570af0de24d837a.jpg

5976713566d32_IMG_72991.jpg.8bad1180494605c59132a7719332db59.jpg

59767135698aa_IMG_73001.jpg.dfd073bbb292b4f4670b6d2339190bcf.jpg

597671356bf01_IMG_72981.jpg.38c2176c4b7044a3020e5b9944f2a069.jpg

Edited by roseyweb

Not sure looks unruly like a padus, bird cherry. Going more on the stem in the guard assuming it's the same thing.

Yes a restock of soil would be good, don't be suprised if it's the usual shallow civil engineering job previously.

Arbor resin permeable surface.

Green-tech

Green blue urban

Or Greenfix all have their own versions.

Easy enough to do, two part resin add together mix in aggregate and trowel-tamp level.

We normally allow around £120 per m2 as its not cheap to buy and takes a while to do a single tree when you factor in cleaning up tools etc.

Arbor resin permeable surface.

Green-tech

Green blue urban

Or Greenfix all have their own versions.

Easy enough to do, two part resin add together mix in aggregate and trowel-tamp level.

We normally allow around £120 per m2 as its not cheap to buy and takes a while to do a single tree when you factor in cleaning up tools etc.

As above, both companies sell resibond, its easy enough to lay, must be keep the gravel/mix dry while it cures though.

also try not to get it on your hands, it doesn't come very easy!

I'd suggest planting the tree then doing the resin the following September. Best to make sure the tree is happy and healthy before spending the extra. We do 1000+ containerised trees into pavements and pits and despite your best efforts, sometimes a tree just doesn't survive.

With tree pits i treat the bottom of the kerb stones as ground level. The tree needs to be slightly deeper than you'd plant in open ground or else it'll buckled the pavement in no time. You lay the resin on top of the ground level soil. Treat the resin as a mulch.

Edited by richy_B

Thanks guys, so do I just lay it on top of the soil?

Its better if you put a membrane down first, weed matting should be ok.

You can lay it around the stem to, but I put a collar round the tree to allow some room for growth. I use 4'' plastic pipe (down pipe), and I cut a slit down one side of the pipe.

Both green tech and green blue urban websites will have all the info, but I have dealt with and if you ring them there very helpful

Its better if you put a membrane down first, weed matting should be ok.

You can lay it around the stem to, but I put a collar round the tree to allow some room for growth. I use 4'' plastic pipe (down pipe), and I cut a slit down one side of the pipe.

Both green tech and green blue urban websites will have all the info, but I have dealt with and if you ring them there very helpful

I think tree79 is right! You must go with the suggestion or you can consult a professional tree surgeon for more.