18 ton grab lorry

Al Cormack

Truck locator magazine but the two you mentioned should have it covered all sorts turned up on there. Was a nice Iveco similar to mine a few weeks back but with roro instead of tipper, would have made a great tree work truck.

Thanks Billy.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as I know Geoff Sipson in Coventry still has my old 18 tonner with Hiab piped for grab and hook lift for sale. I had it 6 years and it's a brilliant lorry. I still have two skips for it sat in my yard, one compactor and one high sided for brash and logs that I will sell. I only part exes it for much newer 26 tonner

Hi Adrian,

I'll contact Geoff on Monday.

How much for your bins if I buy the lorry?

Cheers..Al

Driving an artic is boring as a job but not as part of a job. A few hours of a day in an artic is replacing days of running about in a smaller truck, if freighted you are 30x the typical transit payload.

Does the normal trailer license not cover a small trailer like that behind the truck ?

Edit: Well done Al, KD had a very nice six wheeler grab truck he was selling. It was maintained regardless of cost and with genuine oem parts.

Bob

Cheers Bob. Who is KD?

Six wheeler will be 26t won't it? Bit too big for me if so.

Not to be an prat, but why?

I did my class one before they made you do the rigid and theory 1st.

That was over 20 years ago. Artic driving looks big and glamorous, but generally it's the most boring truck driving you can do. I've done about 10-12 weeks relief driving of it in those 20 years. It tends to be sat on your backside for longer haul work, unload turn around for the long haul back. Little physical activity, tired from boredom, the long inactive hours make you more tired and of little use in your own time. I personally find it life destroying.

However thanks to embracing the cpc for driving. and the old professionals giving it up due to retirement or being nearly there. There is an evident shortage of class one drivers that can competently reverse.

Only two weeks ago I assisted a new driver in his 50s from a major national haulage company to turn his brand new rig round. He didn't believe it was doable in the space.

There is work there but as someone with an active body and mind it's not for me. It is another qualification if you fancy it however, you will find many with class one don't recommend it.

I can't imagine anything worse than being an employed class 1 driver but you need class one/ C+E to tow anything over 750kg behind a category C vehicle so unless you want to chip into an 18t lorry with a pathetic little chipper C+E is a must.

Having successfully passed my C hgv test last week, I'm now looking for an 18 ton grab lorry.

After eBay and autotrader where else can I look?

Cheers

Al.

Not too sure what you think about this one. its available in Enfield. Give Tony a ring on 07500532281. Its his lorry so he knows all about it etc. Tell him Nick Stevenson gave you his number if your interested20160614_150811.jpg.737a41d4dad3496ea7510607f0dc97e3.jpg

20160614_150813.jpg.a249d29013e8da95e4685deb1fa08bb5.jpg