Stove size

Ashes_Firewood

Hi wondering if anyone can help.

We've recently moved in to our first house and I'm trying to size up a wood burning stove for it.

The living room and dining room are open in to each other so effectively one room. The total volume for the living and dining room area is approximately 80.5m3.

The external walls are solid stone so no cavity or insulation. They are approximately 400mm thick. The windows are double glazed. In this situation do I divide the rooms volume by 10 to get the kw requirement?

The other part to this is that the living room is open to the staircase so do I have to work out the volume for the stairs and upstairs landing as well to size the stove up? Basically treat it all as one big area as the heat will obviously rise up the stairs. It would be an option to fit a door at the bottom of the stairs if it's going to make the stove a ridiculous size.

I'm hoping to be able to get either an Esse 100 (5kw) or an Esse 200 (8.5kw) as really like the look of them.

If anyone could confirm I'm doing this correctly that would be great. Thanks.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Use a calculator site to find your needs then go 20% bigger if you want to allow for the open staircase. The 8.5 should be well up to the job on paper but the 5 would be borderline. Stove position can be a consideration as well.

Hi wondering if anyone can help.

We've recently moved in to our first house and I'm trying to size up a wood burning stove for it.

The living room and dining room are open in to each other so effectively one room. The total volume for the living and dining room area is approximately 80.5m3.

The external walls are solid stone so no cavity or insulation. They are approximately 400mm thick. The windows are double glazed. In this situation do I divide the rooms volume by 10 to get the kw requirement?

The other part to this is that the living room is open to the staircase so do I have to work out the volume for the stairs and upstairs landing as well to size the stove up? Basically treat it all as one big area as the heat will obviously rise up the stairs. It would be an option to fit a door at the bottom of the stairs if it's going to make the stove a ridiculous size.

I'm hoping to be able to get either an Esse 100 (5kw) or an Esse 200 (8.5kw) as really like the look of them.

If anyone could confirm I'm doing this correctly that would be great. Thanks.

Hi.

For that's size area with solid stone walls and open plan aspect I think you maybe slightly optimistic.

I have a similar size lounge and open plan layout but in a very well insulated house. It heats the room/house but with not much to spare.

I run a Jotul 3 cleanburn burn stove rated at 6kw nominal output (it's the nominal rating not max rating that is important) are the Esse ratings nominal or peak Kw?

The small stove will not be enough but the bigger one should be ok.

If you have the option fit a room sealing kit with the stove, this will help you as you're drawing air directly into the stove rather than causing drafts around the room as the stove tries to draw oxygen.

Esse have be around along time but are it the best out there by a long way. Perhaps consider one of the Scandiavian stoves (they have been at it a long time) Morso, Jotul, Scan Anderson etc.

My new stove is gonna be a Dru 78!

Proper large stove that can take a 2 foot log ;-) so able to keep the fire going all night.

A proper BTU requirement calculation can be made at a decent heating and plumbing merchants though you may have to give them a beer for working it out for you, failing that you can get them online.

Do your research and don't be tempted by exaggerated output claims.

Hope that helps.

I'd go for the 8. We have a 5 in our dining room and it's not really enough because the room just has stone walls.

We also have an 18kW which will go hotter than you need. The advantage of going bigger is that you can always turn it down and you've got more freedom to choose the wood you burn.

Got a similar size stone wall cottage with spiral staicase and an 8KW Woodwarm Enigma. It's very rare that the fire is on full heat and most of the time is on low. I do light the fire every day in winter usually late afternoon but find the 32" solid walls act as a storage heater to some degree.

Its says up to 8.5kw so must be the max rating, I can't see a nominal rating https://esse.com/multifuel-stoves/esse-200-xk/

They do a 700 version which is 10.5kw, again no nominal rating provided https://esse.com/multifuel-stoves/esse-700-vista/

I just really like the look of the Esse 100/200/700 so be ideal if I could get one of those to work with the space we have.

Got a similar size stone wall cottage with spiral staicase and an 8KW Woodwarm Enigma. It's very rare that the fire is on full heat and most of the time is on low. I do light the fire every day in winter usually late afternoon but find the 32" solid walls act as a storage heater to some degree.

I have heard other people say that. The house has been lovely and cool downstairs the last couple of weeks whilst it's been horrible and humid outside so hoping it might be cool in the summer and warm in the winter. We'll see :confused1:

I am an Esse dealer, given the size of room at 80 cum meters, poor insulation so divide by 12 = 6.5kw, then add on for staircase , especially if the staircase is within 3 or 4 m of the stove then it has to be the 200. While stoves are most efficient running pretty well flat out a genuine 5kw wont be enough.

Heat outputs in stoves are nominal, like a car doing 60mph, more heat can be obtained by loading small pieces of hardwood or softwood or solid fuel such as anthracite, if you want less heat put less fuel in but keep the air supplies pretty well open.

You could also look at the new Esse 700 Vista, thats about 10kw, might be a bit to much, or the Arada I600SLF, this is a big 5kw nominal with actual heat output range of 2kw - 9kw. Most 5kw nominal stoves run 3kw - about 7kw.

Hope that helps, pm me if necessary, buy it from you local independant Esse dealer, NOT one of the online companies, support from them is zero in the event of a problem.

A