Tree work in close proximity to railway lines and platform

graeme3000

From the pictures the job is an urban station in Kent Surrey Hampshire or Sussex or possibly one line in Dorset or Liverpool. The train frequency could be less than 30 minutes on each line so line blocks are unlikely, It looks probable it's what used to be called red zone working so a possession is the best time.

Kent! About 6 trains an hour...

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm with iveco here, there is nothing to stop them cutting the tree back to boundry at there own expense, and the fact they have already done the easy bit at there expense possibly helps.

Would this not make the trees unstable with an uneven load distribution?

When i worked on railways climbed plenty of hardwoods in folks gardens far further off the track than that to take limbs of or side up whole tree and all at NR expense. But possibly things have changed or their chancing there luck.

Things must have changed - there is zero appetite from NR to pay for this :(

Do u actually want the trees removed?

In short, I wouldn't mind (swaying towards a "yes"!). I'm aware that they have grown well beyond what was originally intended, so they are problematic. And things are just going to get worse as they grow larger. They do, however, offer protection from the platform - the garden would be a different place without them! They probably devalue the house, too, simply because of their size and the potential cost to remove/reduce them.

(Does ur tree surgeon not know anyone doing rail work in the local area? who main contractor is or who subbies are?)

Not sure, will check.. but probably not because I'm sure he would have mentioned it!

Hi where are you based? It might be an idea to speak to some link up approved contractors in your area, also have you spoken to the station operator?

I'm in Kent. The village is Selling, just outside Faversham. No station operator here! The station is too small...

From the photos it appears perfectly achievable to remove the trees without a possession (closing a train line) and without requiring access via the platform but i would find it necessary to cordon off the platform which will require both network rail and station operator involvement.

NR have already confirmed that a possession is not needed, and my tree surgeon would not need access to the platform to complete the job.

where are you based? i might be able to recommend a link up contractor in your area with experience in these matters, or a consultant with 3rd party tree railway dispute experience. If you seek your own consultant ensure that they have sufficient experience with railway disputes as many will not. Unfortunately either way id estimate you'll be looking at around £350 for an appraisal and some mediation/ co-ordination but this COULD save you allot in the long run

See above. Thanks for this advice!

Graeme, while you're chatting to NR, ask why they stubbornly refuse to cut back trees on their land (similar sized connies) which are now lifting roof tiles on pensioners properties despite being asked to sort them out for over 5 years. Also in Kent.

They can't have it both ways.

Would this not make the trees unstable with an uneven load distribution?

[I]Don't get me wrong its not 'best practice' but i know i have butchered many trees just like that including some quite nice hard woods. Shoudn't really affect the trees that much. Won't be pretty fron station side but should look ok from garden

[/i]

Things must have changed - there is zero appetite from NR to pay for this :(

[I]Things may well have changed or u might just be dealing with someone difficult. I'd try to find out which (where a clued up land agent would be worth speaking to or loler)

I'd be very surprised if siding up those trees does not fall on NR.

That was a compleltely normal job for us when working on line and felled limbed trees 10-15m off track in some circumstances[/i]

In short, I wouldn't mind (swaying towards a "yes"!). I'm aware that they have grown well beyond what was originally intended, so they are problematic. And things are just going to get worse as they grow larger. They do, however, offer protection from the platform - the garden would be a different place without them! They probably devalue the house, too, simply because of their size and the potential cost to remove/reduce them.

[I]It really would open ur garden up and give u more space with them removed but be very very open to railway. Which side are them on South? Will defo let more light in

I'd try to push for NR to side them up at there expense and hopefully talk them (or subbies) into topping them too. Offering to take chip might help the deal

Atleast after that was done ur tree surgeon would have a far easier job to reduce or remove them possibly without any NR interference

I wouldnae cut them back on ur side at bottom yet as if u take too much green off trees could die when u top them if u decide to keep them.

In photo look like they could be single stems as nice single leaders at top, but possibly not[/i]

Not sure, will check.. but probably not because I'm sure he would have mentioned it!

Hope that makes sense and not too cluttered.

I put my amswers in ur post but dosenae seem to have came up in italics??

This does seem to be an unpleasant situation to be in .... I doubt any reputable tree surgeon would attempt this without NR co-operation , simply due to the risk , however you go about it , it will be a pretty costly job , and this is sadly yet another example of letting Leyllandii grow out of control !!! Leaving them to grow any bigger would not be wise either , are these trees covered by your house insurance ? I do not mean they might help !! but if something did go wrong ( storm damage etc ) are they aware of the potential risk they are covering ,as trees are often a specific extra on home insurance policies .

but the platform would require cordoning off in the area/s immediately under the tree, if you could send me your details at [email protected] i'll pas them on to a couple of link up contractors i know in your area, let them know the brief and have them get in contact with you if they think they can help, they'll probably quote the job for free but require a deposit/ commitment from you before they start co-co-ordinating things with NR, the plus is they do LOADS of work for NR on that very same line so have working relationships with the relevant NR managers etc

Graeme, while you're chatting to NR, ask why they stubbornly refuse to cut back trees on their land (similar sized connies) which are now lifting roof tiles on pensioners properties despite being asked to sort them out for over 5 years. Also in Kent.

They can't have it both ways.

That's the power of social media right there! If you can get an example of NR refusing to do something similar when it would appear to be the "neighbourly" thing to do when it's their trees causing (shall we say) inconvenience, there could possibly be a precedent to prevent them from imposing their will upon you - maybe?