Tree work in close proximity to railway lines and platform

graeme3000

Can they be straight felled? If they can anyone half useful with a saw would put all of them on the floor in a couple of hours. That means you only pay for the NR "supervision" for one day. Bringing your total to less than 1/2 of the original quote.

That would keep Network Rail happy and minimise cost

Unfortunately not, the garden is not big enough for felling. I have asked my tree surgeon for a method statement and an approach to clear as much as possible from the garden side, thereby minimizing NR's involvement. So yes, in a best case scenario I would only have to pay for a few days of NR time. the NR daily rate still annoys me, though! :(

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Eddie, access is pretty bad and there's not much working room. My garden is a triangular shape, probably roughly 10m wide border-to-border at the top, and about 2.5m wide at the bottom. Typically the trees at the bottom of the garden are the tallest and most challenging to work on!

Worth asking I have something that would have sorted that with a bit of reasonable access. The working room would be ok.

Eddie.

They would.

And probably take the house too.

It's not just the immediate train that is delayed that you could be charged for, it's every single connecting service (potentially across the entire country!) if the driver so much as sees work he "unhappy" with adjacent to a line.

Difficult to state what any particular driver might consider "potentially hazardous", it's as vague as to depend entirely upon the temperament and opinion of an individual driver.

NR has the history, capacity and capability to bankrupt if they decide to.

There was an example of a scaffold from an adjacent private house falling on the track near Dawlish a while back but I can't find the weblink - The householder was hammered!

Tale of two trees that cost Northern Rail almost £100,000 | Media centre - HSE

Tell 'em if they want it done, they can crack on! (at their own expense!)

Worth asking I have something that would have sorted that with a bit of reasonable access. The working room would be ok.

Eddie.

How would you define "reasonable access"? I've got one large entrance to the front of the house and good space down the side, but then a narrow step down into the rear garden. I should have also mentioned that there are a couple of sheds in the garden, too, which may get in the way!

It's not just the immediate train that is delayed that you could be charged for, it's every single connecting service (potentially across the entire country!) if the driver so much as sees work he "unhappy" with adjacent to a line.

Difficult to state what any particular driver might consider "potentially hazardous", it's as vague as to depend entirely upon the temperament and opinion of an individual driver.

NR has the history, capacity and capability to bankrupt if they decide to

Yeah, these are the lines I'm being fed by NR, too. Scares the living daylights out of me, which is why I want to do the right thing and keep them involved. It just feels like they are taking complete advantage of my situation, though, and there's nowt I can do about it!

How would you define "reasonable access"? I've got one large entrance to the front of the house and good space down the side, but then a narrow step down into the rear garden. I should have also mentioned that there are a couple of sheds in the garden, too, which may get in the way!

Eddie probably has something like this:

but BIGGER!

You say old Station House ? When was it last used has a station House ? Were them trees planted while Station house working ? Possible route to take .

Ste

I'm not sure TBH, would have to do a bit of research. If they were, would that mean that it would be NR's responsibility to remove them, even though they are in my garden? Wouldn't they claim something like "well you bought the house knowing about the trees, so they are your responsibility" (as I've heard before)?