TW 230 latest opinions please.

bggc

I'm looking at buying a second chipper as back up to our tw125, I'm considering a decent tw 150, or maybe a tw230 or Quadchip. I'm happy with the homework iv done on the Quadchip but know little about the 230, other than what's been posted on here.

Now they've been around a while can any owner operators give me any good or bad feedback?

Iv spoken to one dealer and he hinted that he's aware of an exhaust issue, which maybe being looked at by TW.

From my own impressions, The one thing that caught my eye was the broad opening towards the draw rollers, it seems very wide and I'd imagine you have a bit of a battle getting smaller stuff to funnel towards the rollers, unlike the narrow more tapered hopper on the 125/150.

Other than the last APF when I had a walk around one and saw the demo I'm in the dark so if anyone could offer their latest opinions I'd be grateful.

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 230 will knock your 125 into a cocked hat.

I've used all of the TWs you mentioned.

I'm sure it will Mick!

Hence why I'm looking at a bigger chipper. The 125 has served me well but we've had a few issues of late and I can't afford to push it hard for much longer.

The best feature of the 230 is it wide opening making feeding brash a dream, with no annoying lip to catch butts (take note Forst!)

The 230 is simply a phenomenal see chipper

Not taking anything away from Forst there customer support has been second to none and we have not suffered any major down time using one, unlike the 230 which has had teething issues.

Our 230 has needed, a new fuel tank and redesigned bottom feed roller, since both have been replaced there have been no further problems.

Apart from the engine front mounts has some how dropped raising the crankshaft which now doesn't run true to the flywheel so we cannot get the tension right and there by having issues with the stress control which runs of the alternator. In the process of getting this sorted.

As much as I do like the Forst we will probably be trading it in for the 8" Timberwolf next year.

Thanks Marc,

Are all these modifications now being implemented on all new TW 230's coming out of TW?

This is why I tend to avoid new kit for a while, there always seems to be something, whether it's a ZigZag or a chipper, most things mechanical seem to need fine tuning further down the line.

Thanks Marc,

Are all these modifications now being implemented on all new TW 230's coming out of TW?

This is why I tend to avoid new kit for a while, there always seems to be something, whether it's a ZigZag or a chipper, most things mechanical seem to need fine tuning further down the line.

mine needed roller upgrade ,just 1,off those things imo.very fast chipper,nice big hopper ,try & get extended demo so you can get a feel for it on differant stuff,:thumbup1:

Thanks Marc,

The bottom feed roller and tank should be sorted on new machines, both are easy to spot on used machines.

So far in 600 hours we have had no other significant issue other than the engine dropping on its mount, but that's probably down to bad luck.

Another issue to be aware of is the air filter, it's intake on the top of the machine leaves it prone to sucking in a lot of debris so weekly or fortnight checks are a must, and perhaps more frequent changing than the manual suggests.

I would always push for buying new, they give good part exchange deals and 2 year warranty but appreciate its not suitable for everyone.

The bottom feed roller and tank should be sorted on new machines, both are easy to spot on used machines.

So far in 600 hours we have had no other significant issue other than the engine dropping on its mount, but that's probably down to bad luck.

Another issue to be aware of is the air filter, it's intake on the top of the machine leaves it prone to sucking in a lot of debris so weekly or fortnight checks are a must, and perhaps more frequent changing than the manual suggests.

I would always push for buying new, they give good part exchange deals and 2 year warranty but appreciate its not suitable for everyone.

warrranty 3,yrs if serviced on time with paper work ,cost me £142 for its 1,st 50hr service ,