Stock fencing

Big Beech

Mibee just the way u learnt, i wonder how anyone could prefer a dolly :biggrin:

The big advantage with mel is u can have ur top line on so ur putting post's in smack on, saves u a lot of time sweetening off later.

But i'm sure u have other ways and u will still need to carry a mel anyway for sweetening the line once ur all steepled up anyway

That last boss is 64 and will out mel me, he has the tractor/chapper sitting in same field doing nothing and still insists on hand meling. But he is a stickler for details etc, will not let u join barb or top/bottom line of net by folding back on itself as weakens it. Which i dare say is right but not many fences fial because of that

Can always remember 1 friday afternoon he almost got told where to stick his mel, finished a job early (i ws itching for pub) took us to a new patching job, heavy clay but bone dry, 1 lad was pinching 2nd lad on a bigger 3" sq pointed pinch and i was following on mel, very numb going and tractor was bloody sitting there. :confused1: Was nit a happy bunny that day

Thats about the only time i've minded mel ing

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd agree with Moore above. Althou be intrested to hear wot others think/have heard

Not sure if same thing u heard but the wire rep was trying to tell the sawmill owner that these big post knockers are breakin the cell structure of timber and thats why rot quicker.

The biggest problem is timber could be harvested, forwarded, hauled to mill and milled (peeled, pointed) in a very short space of time so going into pressure treater still green/soaking wet.

There is still 1 old fashioned sawmill near me where he has a big drying area, has stacks and stacks of cut posts all under tarps drying out before being treated so when going into get treated are fairly dry will absorb it right in

His posts/rails are a pleasure to work with and last fine

Mibee just the way u learnt, i wonder how anyone could prefer a dolly :biggrin:

The big advantage with mel is u can have ur top line on so ur putting post's in smack on, saves u a lot of time sweetening off later.

But i'm sure u have other ways and u will still need to carry a mel anyway for sweetening the line once ur all steepled up anyway

That last boss is 64 and will out mel me, he has the tractor/chapper sitting in same field doing nothing and still insists on hand meling. But he is a stickler for details etc, will not let u join barb or top/bottom line of net by folding back on itself as weakens it. Which i dare say is right but not many fences fial because of that

Can always remember 1 friday afternoon he almost got told where to stick his mel, finished a job early (i ws itching for pub) took us to a new patching job, heavy clay but bone dry, 1 lad was pinching 2nd lad on a bigger 3" sq pointed pinch and i was following on mel, very numb going and tractor was bloody sitting there. :confused1: Was nit a happy bunny that day

Thats about the only time i've minded mel ing

Well anyone that puts in posts by hand when there is a chapper to hand is a bloody idiot or sadist,

My preference of course is the chapper, but if I do.have to do by hand I favour the slave over the maul.

Why you would chap posts after you've stapled beats me , chief

The timber is rubbish and the supplier will.look for any excuse to get out of being responsible,

James Jones rep told me there timber had the 15 yr lifespan,

But if you cut a notch for stay then it doesn't count, if you make a hole with staple then they won't stand good,

Any excuse that 15 year is total fallacy.

Drinksloe, you make the point perfectly, it takes three chaps to put posts in you way... While a man on a tracked machine would put in twice as much (at least) as you on any ground conditions. Fencing is all about reducing labour costs and being efficient.

To be fair moore that was the only time i've ever really moaned about it. And it was crazy as it was just a patch job anyway.

Ur probbly slightly quickir of a tracked machine anyway for stabs as not climbing in out al the time, but then u will struggle with strainers a bit more.

No idea why he prefers the mel over the chappers and he runs 2 decent suma's (and had knighiters before that so none of ur parmitter rubbish) with back shift etc so not like h's working with crappy knockers.

I think he thinks u get a better job with a mel, he is quite a perfectionist and things must be done his way.

But i would honestly say in most ground conditions/experience in my area, u will not be far away time wise with a mel, the only way u'd save time is if u don't bother to pinch the holes first for the chapper. But i'd say i'm alone in that.

GN do u not sweep/sweeten a fence after it is all steepled up as a finishing touch, someone eyeing the line and other just knocking any high posts down the baw hair so it flows nice?