proffessional

bill

any got any tips on coming accross more professional? ive recently started up on my own, and i feel i need to come accross more experienced then i am. im not talking about tree knowledge here, more about looking/acting/being proffessional.

any got any tips on coming accross more professional? ive recently started up on my own, and i feel i need to come accross more experienced then i am. im not talking about tree knowledge here, more about looking/acting/being proffessional.

The best way to come across as being professional is to really know what you're talking about. Know your trees, listen to what the customer wants doing and make some informed and intelligent suggestions. Having a company logo which is printed on all of your stationery, t-shirts, vehicles, etc... really looks good. Also, it helps if you can afford some decent equipment/vehicles, don't opt for battered old secondhand chainsaws and rusting trucks - it makes you look like your business is not very successful and customers will wonder why this is.

...or just be successfull with the trees you work on.

In America, image is a tired method that people are starting to see for what it's worth: higher costs and lower skills.

Suspect signs of overcharging: lack of professional experience, business models from textbooks and sales seminars, useless scientific instruments and most of all the sign of a scam - a labcoat and clipboard recently freshly laundered and starched.

The best way to come across as being professional is to really know what you're talking about. Know your trees, listen to what the customer wants doing and make some informed and intelligent suggestions. Having a company logo which is printed on all of your stationery, t-shirts, vehicles, etc... really looks good. Also, it helps if you can afford some decent equipment/vehicles, don't opt for battered old secondhand chainsaws and rusting trucks - it makes you look like your business is not very successful and customers will wonder why this is.

I agree! I started out 2 years ago & done all of the above. If you have to go down the route of buying second hand kit like a chipper thats a bit tatty you can paint it up quite easily to make it look better. Thats what i did when i was a bit quiet when 1st started out. IMO image speaks volumes if you look the part look after your kit then customers will think that you will look after there trees. But obviusly knowledge of your subject out ways image, so if you know your stuff & look the part you should be ok.

Ps also read alot you'll find alot of good extra info

In America, image is a tired method that people are starting to see for what it's worth: higher costs and lower skills.

Suspect signs of overcharging: lack of professional experience, business models from textbooks and sales seminars, useless scientific instruments and most of all the sign of a scam - a labcoat and clipboard recently freshly laundered and starched.

Yeah, well you got to get some trees to work on first! Image does matter - I for one wouldn't want someone who looks like a tramp working on my property when I wasn't there.

I agree! I started out 2 years ago & done all of the above. If you have to go down the route of buying second hand kit like a chipper thats a bit tatty you can paint it up quite easily to make it look better. Thats what i did when i was a bit quiet when 1st started out. IMO image speaks volumes if you look the part look after your kit then customers will think that you will look after there trees. But obviusly knowledge of your subject out ways image, so if you know your stuff & look the part you should be ok.

Ps also read alot you'll find alot of good extra info

:icon14:

Spot on!

When quoting a job, state a time you'll be there, and be punctual, make sure you have a contact no. in case you're going to be late, most people are busy and hate being kept waiting.

Be polite, even if they insist on something ridiculous (in your opinion) steer them to your way of thinking.

If you have clothing with your co. logo on it, wear it, it identifies you. Dress tidily, not necessarily smart, but scruffy appearance doesnt help.

Try not to take a vehicle dripping mud and oil onto their block paviors, bad image.

Dont bullshit, if you're not sure of something be honest. Tell them you will look into it, and get back to them.

If they ask for a quote, dont be put on the spot, say you will submit a written quotation. This avoids the awkwardness, the sucking of air thru the teeth humming and haa'ing. It also means you can accurately evaluate all the costs, being fairer to yourself and the client.

Experience will come with time, dont rush it. Your confidence will grow the more you go out, you know the job already, just be relaxed and enjoy it.

Be enthusiastic, try and think about how you will prevent unnecessary damage to their lawns/flowerbeds etc, and put it across to the client, it shows you are prepared to go the extra yard to respect their property.