What to do with this tree?

jfc

Never heard of wind-firming before - will look it up, sounds like it could be a goer.

The tree appears healthy, but it is big still reckin 100ft and much bigger than any other tree round it. It is pretty exposed on a hillside open to westerly gales. I guess the reason they are worried about it is that 2 tree have blown over in that area in the last 5 years. One was a diseased Beech and a leylandii, so the owners have seen other tree go and are worried about this one.

The owner thought it ws TPO'd, which was going to limit my options a bit, but it doesn't appear to be when I checked, so I will go have a chat and see what they want done.

cheers.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I remember rightly wind firming is the removal of a proportion of the upper branches to reduce sail effect but not lowering the height.

It gets done on forestry trees on the outside of stands that are more vulnerable to heavy wind.

There was a video on here about it somewhere.

Wind firming is as above and is done on large scale forestry plantations were the outside boundaries of the trees are topped into about 15 to 20 mtrs depending on species of tree. This helps prevent wind blow on the outside falling inwards.

This is not what is needed on your spacific problem... As said before no right or wrong way to deal with it other then to go with clients instructions to make it safe...but pointing out the pro's and con,s of what it will look like and advise to cover yourself....thought you would have. Cracked on and done it by now.

From a personal standpoint, it needed to be said. It's tiring to hear the excuse of "oh what if it fell and killed someone?" as a reason to remove a tree that probably won't ever do that (speaking generally, and after a proper investigation). It's a lazy and redundant argument.

Do people drive cars? I believe they do. There's more risk of dying in one of them, by orders of magnitude. Why isn't the owner of that house selling up their cars and locking themselves in their house so they don't ever get put at risk of getting hit by a car when walking, after selling their car? Perspective, for crying out loud!

If someone doesn't like a tree, come out and admit it. Don't use the bullshit excuse of "but it could fall and kill someone!" without even investigating the tree's structure first, via employing someone that knows what they're looking at (that is no jab at anyone in this thread).

Perhaps it's just supreme ignorance of the real level of risk.

Ha, ha! Too true (sadly!)

I have previously offered to remove a tree if the home owner sold their car and surrendered their driving licence.

They declined and I didn't hear back from them.

Coincidentally, I've just been reading the "do you chase up quotes thread." I didn't on that occasion!

Ha, ha! Too true (sadly!)

I have previously offered to remove a tree if the home owner sold their car and surrendered their driving licence.

They declined and I didn't hear back from them.

Coincidentally, I've just been reading the "do you chase up quotes thread." I didn't on that occasion!

Take a drive past and see if the tree is still there? :thumbup:

From a personal standpoint, it needed to be said. It's tiring to hear the excuse of "oh what if it fell and killed someone?" as a reason to remove a tree that probably won't ever do that (speaking generally, and after a proper investigation). It's a lazy and redundant argument.

Do people drive cars? I believe they do. There's more risk of dying in one of them, by orders of magnitude. Why isn't the owner of that house selling up their cars and locking themselves in their house so they don't ever get put at risk of getting hit by a car when walking, after selling their car? Perspective, for crying out loud!

If someone doesn't like a tree, come out and admit it. Don't use the bullshit excuse of "but it could fall and kill someone!" without even investigating the tree's structure first, via employing someone that knows what they're looking at (that is no jab at anyone in this thread).

Perhaps it's just supreme ignorance of the real level of risk.

So its clearly been topped before or had it blown out in a storm, either way that is a structural weakness.

Now you can't have it both ways, either it's a "ticking time bomb" that phrase so beloved of many in this industry to rail against topping or there's no risk.

If you took the top out again either by half or back to the previous wound it is much less likely to fail completely or partially at the previous cut/tear, do you deny that?

The client is worried, it affects their life, by re topping it it will make them happier and less worried, plus cost an awful lot less than taking it out.

We're managing clients as well as trees. You would have to be to be "supremely ignorant" not to factor that into it.

Your car use thing is so stupid it's embarrassing but I'll continue the analogy anyway.

The use of cars and the existence of trees near houses is something that won't change, but that's no reason not to fasten your seat belt, get the brakes checked and drive carefully is there?

Better pics of the branch and leaves/needles please.

To me it look like a European silver fir, Abies alba or a nordmanns fir, Abies nordmanniana, but I Could be wrong , I've been so on more than a few occations before 😉

Enjoy the job, what ever you talk the customers into ☺

Give it a height reduction. You wouldn't necessarily have to take too much to reduce the perceived risk, I am sure it would recover. Anyway, trees contribute a lot more than just aesthetic value!

If its one or the other, then I think the concept of felling a tree just because it looks unsightly in the short term is pretty outdated now.

Cheers, Loz

• 2 weeks later...