Tajfun 400

Lancer

I see there are a few folk on here who run tajfun 400 processors. How many tonnes or m3 do you manage to get out of 1 chain and bar? We cut a lot of wood but do get through them quick. I was aware when buying the machine that it was fast and that meant hard pressing on the bar but just wondering if few tips on getting more out of them? Cheers

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Imo depends so much on what your cutting. And if its clean. The nature of the machine means you dont always know if its cut a dirty section etc. Ive had days where ive had to sharpen 4 or 5 times on mixed hw and other days where its cut well all day long without a sharpen.

Thanks Ben. Yes agreed it is quite variable. Our cord is generally quite clean. So what can you get out of 1 chain and bar if cutting nice wood? The machine suppliers say to expect about 100 ton. I find after about 80 or so the bar is getting pretty tired and starts getting stuck alot in the wood. We have been taking their advice to tighten the chain a bit more than a chainsaw. Wonder if this is what is doing the damage.

Do you tighten your chain to the same tension as you would a chainsaw or more?

We aimed to cut 12 tons then sharpen and normally achieved that. If we had dirty wood we switched to semi chisel chains.

I normally sharpen 5 times on each tooth and do a couple of strokes on the depth guages every few sharpenings. You have to be spot on with your angles, if I got it even slightly wrong the machine wouldn't cut right so I use an old bar and a file guide.

Dressing the bar makes a huge difference as it does all the work near the base. I would file it and clean it every 3 sharpenings then when it ran out of depth flip it over. I think I always got 100 tons plus from a bar.

Good choice of machine by the way. Ours did 3000 tons with no problems before we got the 480.

Thanks that's helpful. Yes very pleased with the machine we are putting 15-25 tonne through everyday and it rarely misses a beat.

How are you finding the 480? Would be the next obvious step up for us but I was a bit concerned it would be too slow on smaller timber because of longer saw stroke. Interested to hear how you are finding it.

The 480 is working well, we've got the plus model with the auto height adjust on the splitter which is nice and even with the 12 way in it never struggles on oak. The chain lasts 25-30 tons.

It's actually not much slower on small logs although we don't put anything under 5 inch through either machine. You just have to put a 6 way splitter in for anything under 12 inch or it makes too much kindling around the ring of the splitter.

It looks a lot bigger and it's more open inside but the machines are very similar. Only issues we had it's heavier and they didn't sell a log table only the big deck so we had to make one. The third roller on the new log tables makes a big difference.

DSC_0993.jpg.62a02aeff985bffc4630e0ae3741d851.jpg

DSC_0998.jpg.ca957b6028cdafab4c5a5ddfdbc67b0e.jpg

DSC_0995.jpg.622f1bdab26f467039b3e75b413da057.jpg

• 1 month later...