Distance learning Arb courses & qualifications???

Hound-Dogg

Thanks again all for your opinions and experience. Stoatally, I checked and you are right - they have a level 2 course that IS ABC certified, I am beginning to think this is the way to go.

Would anyone hire a level 3 over level 2 qualified person just based on their qualifications, or at that level do you think it does not make much difference - only level 4, level 6, Bsc etc stand out?

Cheers all

Hi

I did the old RFS Certificate in Arboriculture with the HCC. I then did the old Arb Assoc Technicians Certificate at level 3, (now level 4), with Myrescough, before doing the Professional Diploma at level 6, and all via distance learning.

The ABC level 4 diploma is the same as the ABC level 6, just fewer units. If you don't have much experience you will find it hard. If I was to do it again I'd do it pretty much the same way. ABC/RFS Cert Arb, ABC level 4 diploma, ABC level 6 diploma. Primarily because it's a continuation of the same theme so you will build up knowledge about what's coming next, and how to write and present the work.

Without experience I think you are jumping in at the deep end going straight to level 4. However, why not call Keeley, Dave, or Andy at Tree Life, they'll be more than happy to help.

Good luck.

Ed

This isn't quite right - I did the same route to L6. The L4 dip isn't the same as the L6 dip, the L4 cert is but with fewer units. As with L6 dip being the same as the L6 cert but with more units. You get more mandatory units with the dip also - the main one being the research project for the L6.

HCC offer 2 level 2 courses, their own HCC certificate which isn't QCF or the ABC / RFS level 2 which is QCF registered.

QCF doesn't exist anymore - RQF is the new system. Its based on total qualification time rather than guided learning hours. Should give a better representation on the amount of work required. If HCC is plugging their course as being accredited on the QCF I wouldn't bother. :confused1:

yes - half as many.

Half!? :scared1:

Glad I'm taking a 'gap year' as my first spawn is due a week after I finish the level 2. Myerscough only offer the award or cert. I'm thinking the Diploma from Treelife would be a better step(?)

Hound-Dogg - From my, limited, experience, until you get to level 4 and above the academic qualifications open a limited number of doors generally. They're a show a dedication — a commitment — but giving you a solid background of fundamental knowledge. Aptitude and work ethics (and tickets) will take you a lot further to begin with.

It depends of your end-game really. Where do you want to see yourself in the next 10 / 15 years?

At our stage in life, I personally think our career path narrows somewhat. We might know what we ultimately want to attain (finally), but our options are limited by time-scales and commitments, so we need to plan a little better to make the most of what we have left :blushing:

This is just how I see my current situation, hopefully you might take something from it, but, obviously, we're from different backgrounds and may hum a different tune.

Whatever you decide, go balls out and grab it. Tomorrow is too late. :thumbup:

I wish I were 18 again...

Edited by diervek
  • Like 1

Thanks again all for your opinions and experience. Stoatally, I checked and you are right - they have a level 2 course that IS ABC certified, I am beginning to think this is the way to go.

Would anyone hire a level 3 over level 2 qualified person just based on their qualifications, or at that level do you think it does not make much difference - only level 4, level 6, Bsc etc stand out?

Cheers all

Level 2 is in reality a tree surgeons qualification. L4 is junior consultant to consultant. L6 is a top consultancy qualification. L3 (with the exception of the old tech cert) in my opinion is still a tree surgeons qualification.

Tree surgeons will be more concerned with how much work you can churn out in a day while still being safe. L2 will be fine. L4 is if you are working toward getting off the tools. I worked for years as a tree surgeon with just L2, its was only when I wanted to get off the tools that I started to do the higher qualifications.

Don't bother doing anything that isn't accredited on the RQF. Apart from short CPD events that is.

Half!? :scared1:

Glad I'm taking a 'gap year' as my first spawn is due a week after I finish the level 2. Myerscough only offer the award or cert. I'm thinking the Diploma from Treelife would be a better step(?)

Hound-Dogg - From my, limited, experience, until you get to level 4 and above the academic qualifications open a limited number of doors generally. They're a show a dedication — a commitment. Aptitude and work ethics will take you a lot further to begin with.

It depends of your end-game really. Where do you want to see yourself in the next 10 / 15 years?

At our stage in life, I personally think our career path narrows somewhat. We might know what we ultimately want to attain (finally), but our options are limited by time-scales and commitments, so we need to plan a little better to make the most of what we have left :blushing:

This is just how I see my current situation, hopefully you might take something from it, but, obviously, we're from different backgrounds and may hum a different tune.

Whatever you decide, go balls out and grab it. Tomorrow is too late. :thumbup:

I wish I were 18 again...

I don't think you can do the L4 as an award - certainly not the L6.

Yes half - When I did the L6 dip it was 8 units (still is), but you could get the cert half way through with just 4 units. I didn't bother as I was always going for dip - its not on a level with a degree otherwise. My son was born 3m into my first year of L6 so its doable - go for it.

Yes they do open doors. Since finishing my L6 I am approached by recruitment consultants 2 or 3 times a month on linked in. Before that - never.

I don't think you can do the L4 as an award - certainly not the L6.

Yes half - When I did the L6 dip it was 8 units (still is), but you could get the cert half way through with just 4 units. I didn't bother as I was always going for dip - its not on a level with a degree otherwise. My son was born 3m into my first year of L6 so its doable - go for it.

Yes they do open doors. Since finishing my L6 I am approached by recruitment consultants 2 or 3 times a month on linked in. Before that - never.

Myerscough seem to offer the award;

Arboriculture (FE)

However, in all honesty, it seems a worthless expenditure of time...

There is hope to continue the education, I just need to get my head around it all :biggrin:

Sorry, I may have been confusing; I was only referring to <lvl3 in reference to opening doors. Most, if not all, jobs I see advertised for arboriculturalists (generalising tree officer, surveying, and consultancy type roles) require a level 4, or above, as a minimum.

The level 2 and level 3, give the basis upon which to build to further career prospects, but in themselves don't create the opportunities — compared with NPTC certs and experience. I don't think many employers would take someone on based on a level 2/3 qualification alone

Edited by diervek