New ART rope guide - twin line.

charlie

All cool features mate but I reckon in day to day tree work you'd never spend ages isolating a branch to install the ropeguide and ascend ddrt. IME it's either ALT up to the top or big shot and SRT up.

Reckon the rescue line would get in the way a lot too.

It's the kind of thing that looks awesome in an edited video with a carefully selected tree.

They're behind the times really.

Climbed with a rescue line in the tree for nearly a decade never found it got in the way apart from take downs, now we all climb SRTwp we now use the access line as the work line also.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Climbed with a rescue line in the tree for nearly a decade never found it got in the way apart from take downs, now we all climb SRTwp we now use the access line as the work line also.

Exactly. Takedowns and rigging are a big part of the job, and probably where the necessity for rescue is more likely to be needed.

Plus the anchor point for the climber would have to be a lot stronger if a rescuer was to possibly be using it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

My first post on here in a long time. Hope you have all been well. Many apologies for the long wait between that video and these things hitting the market.

Just quickly, in reply to the many people who see this as too much fuss for not much gain: I've had one of these for a year now, and I mainly use it in the 'traditional' Rope Guide format, with the soft-eye SpliceAnchor sling. In that format, it is (in my opinion) the best low-friction TIP money can buy. The soft eye means it pulls out easily, but it still has the ART camming action, energy-absorbing lanyard, choking function, changeable parts etc etc.

However, when the right tree comes along - one with a good shot to the TIP, or the opportunity to start work low down without climbing all the way up there, it takes seconds to swap the device onto my old access line and install it from the ground. When set up like this, you get a rescue line and climbing line with a 1:1 load on the TIP all set up with one shot, plus it's almost impossible to get it stuck (I know I shouldn't say that... I will be punished for that comment the very next tree I climb), and it retrieves without dropping it. I would say I use it like this in approximately 1/3 of the trees I work in, most often in removals where I can start work from the ground up, or for any tree where I won't need to go to the top.

I know there are lots of ways to simulate this effect with in-line anchors and so forth, but this is the neatest way of doing it I've found. And it's quick, easy and safe as well. Way neater and less vulnerable than doing tree work tied off to a ground anchor, plus easy to change anchor points, go from tree to tree, etc etc. Lot of application for SLWP as well... though we didn't cover that much in the video.

Hi Mark, good to hear from you again. Do you mean, you're using SLWP for everything, so don't need a low-friction TIP, or that it's so easy to SRT to the top anyway to set your TIP if you're going to use MLWP?

First off, I think it's really good for SLWP anyway - use one side as a rescue line, the other as your WP line: you get the energy absorbing lanyard, the quick set from the ground w/ rescue line, easy to move TIPs etc.

Secondly, even with a quick SRT run to the top, I often prefer not to have to if I can avoid it. I am definitely older and lazier than I was, but I'm currently working in the tropics, where it's regularly 40 degrees and almost 100% humidity, so any energy saving is great.

Lastly, (and at risk of derailing the topic) I have yet to be convinced that SLWP is an improvement other than for specific problems. One of the things I've done quite regularly in the last few years, is run/host a climbing system comparison workshop, where we decide on metrics for comparison then break down a 'tree climbing problem' into its most basic steps - often the minor ergonomic / efficiency advantages possible through good use of a simple system. At its best, the workshop takes at least half a day to a full day, and is fully interactive, with different climbers demonstrating their solutions to the problem(s), and the group as a whole discussing the strengths and weaknesses of the solution. The results, of course, depend on the specific problem(s) you use to make the comparison, but it's not often in SLWP's favour, despite all the enthusiasm.

This argument has been done to death here and elsewhere online, however, so I probably shouldn't have brought it up again. I think forums are not the best place to have these discussions - in person with beer seems to work well! - and in any case that's a different topic. Just wanted to answer your question there... :001_rolleyes:

• 3 months later...

Joe, Not sure if you'll see this or not but do you have any information on the SRT "stopper?" that is used in the video to work a single line through the rope guide? Is that available as well or am I being a bit slow and I just can't find it!

Thanks mate.

Sorry Joe, missed your reply. Hope you're good.

I still switch regularly between systems depending on the job, SRT just doesn't make sense to me in some scenarios.

I hear you on the discussing things face to face over a beer being way better than trying to write about it to explain things etc.

As I discovered with Gumpy, though, there is only about a 2 hour window to increase your understanding. After that it seems to start going backwards....