Chasing up quotes

Will Heal

I have a neighbour,in the street opposite, who's asks me every spring to give him a quote to remove a cherry tree in his back garden.I see him most days and the tree's still there.He knows my price and if he gets round to asking me to do it i will.Ive never chased a quote,never will.

If you've quoted a job and gave them your contact details its up to them from there to come to you.

Just my view

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't expect this many replies to this thread! Thanks! Seems opinion is split but I'm going to side with chasing the quotes up. Like mark said nothing to lose everything to gain. Sorry if I sound desperate, but I want to get on!

some i chase, some i don't.

Did some tree work fer a couple from Yorkshire* a few weeks back and was asked to quote on reducing some limbs on a large ash tree. I verbally quoted there and then and they wandered off in to the house ferra few minutes.

When they came back out and said well 'seeing as you don't charge VAT and the other quote we've had does include VAT, will you reduce your price to match the other quote minus the VAT as your wanting to charge us more money?' I said no and they looked a bit perplexed and pished off, i explained i do this type of work for profit and not simply a days wage. They persisted in trying to haggle me down and i asked the Gent if he'd like to go and do his job for a day but earn 40% less than normal ? He looked a bit uncomfortable and had a nervous laugh about it, i shook their hand's and took my payment for the work i had done. Drove by a few times recently as it's near where i live and the work is still not done. I didn't chase these people up !

* I got no problem with anyone from Yorkshire!

If I was given a quote by someone and I never got back to them, I would consider any follow-up contact from them as a pressure tactic, nagging or desperation. Even if I was still undecided I certainly wouldn't chose them.

Maybe it depends on how much work you have booked in.

Please remember these are just the views of an cynical old grumpy-boots and may have no place in the real world.

I do something similar to make sure they got the email, as they disappear into spam or junk mail folders sometimes.

Several times customers have said they didn't receive the email and then find it in the spam box.

Always worth chasing in my opinion.

:confused1: Why does the first email go into spam, but not the second???:confused1:

When my quote is accepted, if I've not got much on I will ask when would you like it done, to which they usually say as soon as possible. Then you can say well if I jiggle my jobs around I can bring you near the top and do it next Tuesday. They don't know you've nothing much on, they appreciate you fitting them in sooner, and also this avoids a chainsaw Charlie nipping in behind your back and doing it in the meantime. Works for me many a time .

:thumbup1::thumbup1:

Big Beech I felt exactly the same for years.

I lost some really nice jobs because I never followed up with a polite call, text or email.

It's not a hard sell, just a professional courtesy.

:confused1: How do you know this???

I personally don't chase up quotes as I think it's human nature to be almost embarrassed to have to tell someone they haven't got the job for what ever reason and majority of people will go out of their way to avoid these awkward situations. So if you phone people up I think it can feel like hassling. However if you really are short of work then I guess you have nothing to loose by making a call