Chasing up quotes

Will Heal

How is it it best to approach customers who haven't got back to you after you give them a quote? And how long do you leave it before asking?

I'm doing more quotes now and I'm charging more, but still hate losing jobs.

Thanks will

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After about 3 weeks I drive by and if the trees still standing I call them and say " have you had any more thoughts about your tree" sometimes they have genuinely forgotten to get back to you and they ask when am I going to do it, or they will say I've found someone else who will do it for a gallon of petrol, 4 cans of tesco lager, and a cup of tea while they're here.

I never chase them up, seems a bit desperate. If I quote verbally I know they have got it, if via email I ask them to email me back so I know they have received it. I dont like loosing work but its just how it is, will always be someone cheaper or maybe they just dont like you **** happens.

I rarely chase quotes, I should do it a bit more, I like oldwoodcutters method.

I never get offended when salesmen chase a quote they've done for me for trucks/chippers etc.

If it's an email quote there's no harm in bouncing one back after a few weeks asking the question.

I never chase them up, seems a bit desperate. If I quote verbally I know they have got it, if via email I ask them to email me back so I know they have received it. I dont like loosing work but its just how it is, will always be someone cheaper or maybe they just dont like you **** happens.

This.......

I never chase them up, seems a bit desperate.

On the other hand, not following up quotes makes it look like you're not interested in the work.

There's no reason why a quick phone call or email should seem desperate. You've got someone who you know has potential business for you, and you've started to build a relationship with them. Why throw that away by not asking for the work?

They've asked you to quote for the work ,if they want YOU to do it they'll call you they're not going to forget that tree in there garden

If you've gone to the effort of driving there, writing and sending a complex quote

I'd say you have a reasonable right to politely ask the question.

Very often people delay decisions, they've had a few quotes, all in the same ballpark, and are sitting on them.

You're the only one to phone up and ask the question that gives them the impetus to "alright, go for it"

It's all very well people saying "I'm so busy and brilliant I'd never lower myself to that" if that's true, great.

They've asked you to quote for the work ,if they want YOU to do it they'll call you they're not going to forget that tree in there garden

Following up quotes is basic good business practice.

You don't have to do it, but like Mick says, if they have two or three quotes and are faffing about making a decision then helping them choose you will win work.