Akimbo

I've never really had any ropes that have milked a lot. So I'm not really sure what to expect with the new sterling htp that I've got. It hasn't done anything yet but I've only had a couple of 2hr climbs on it.

Anyway, I went back to the cougar blue today and had two climbs. Both times, the rope all bunched up and it wouldn't go through the Akimbo. 1st time I was 2' off the ground and I went back up and massaged it about and it was ok to come down. 2nd decent was about 12' off the ground and I think in the same spot. I couldn't massage it out and had to remove the akimbo and reposition underneath the bulge area to get down.

Is this an issue with the rope? Is that a manufacturing fault thing or the akimbo doing it? Hopefully the pictures will show it.

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1487345751.767920.jpg.7fa95c65efcb9f36ff1ea3eb82242e21.jpg

I forgot to add. This has only been climbed on about 5 or 6 times at the most.

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1487345700.430117.jpg.dcfc2e7e310a16aeb37c5f5f56e3e032.jpg

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1487345717.096922.jpg.bf574777b0d2f1b150e2bf01689df693.jpg

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1487345727.302170.jpg.dc0356d41c609f091b912efc6fb380e8.jpg

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1487345739.586664.jpg.bafe8286975fc6ef27e8410e561df183.jpg

Edited by T14EES T14UNK

Definitely needs milking ...

That's really strange though as my new cougar hasn't milked at all on the akimbo but my first did badly on the Bull dog bone, I think it's just the nature of these mechanical devices that they really squeeze the rope so if the rope outer sleeve needs milking it will show up straight away.

I left my htp up in a tree last night to see how the akimbo would perform, unfortunately i chose the end that's still slightly milking to climb on so could not really tell if being wet made much difference.. to be honest I felt like taking the rope back to gustharts it's performance feels that frustrating with the lumps all over it but after cutting the ends off I don't think they would have it.

That is most definitely a rope problem, not an Akimbo problem. It is amazing how much rope will vary batch to batch. You need to milk the cover and balance the core on the piece you have in order for it to do its job. Try tying off one end and use a hitch cord to load the rope for one continuous pull to the other end.

It very well might take more than one time to stabilize it.

I'm not sure if it's the CE one. I got it from Nod about a year ago, saving it for the akimbo.

I don't know how I can milk it though. The bit where it bunched up had about 20 odd metres left (from a 55m rope) but I couldn't get it to move further 'down' the rope. If I ascended a bit, I could move it up and the whole outer sheath was moving freely over the inner for a few feet. But on descent it just bunched up in the same spot. It won't budge from that area.

Does that mean that I have to try to milk it all the other way over the other 30 or so metres.

I must have climbed the second climb with the rope the same way round as the first climb. And it bunched up in the same area. Will it milk it for me if I go the other way next time?

I hope that makes sense. Aaaaaarghh!!

I've never really had any ropes that have milked a lot. So I'm not really sure what to expect with the new sterling htp that I've got. It hasn't done anything yet but I've only had a couple of 2hr climbs on it.

Anyway, I went back to the cougar blue today and had two climbs. Both times, the rope all bunched up and it wouldn't go through the Akimbo. 1st time I was 2' off the ground and I went back up and massaged it about and it was ok to come down. 2nd decent was about 12' off the ground and I think in the same spot. I couldn't massage it out and had to remove the akimbo and reposition underneath the bulge area to get down.

Is this an issue with the rope? Is that a manufacturing fault thing or the akimbo doing it? Hopefully the pictures will show it.

[ATTACH]217000[/ATTACH]

I forgot to add. This has only been climbed on about 5 or 6 times at the most.

Sounds like the sheath is 'attached' to the core in that area. Manufacturing fault maybe??

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk