What equiptment to go for? Arb wood processing

swinny

Personally I prefer chainsaws. They're easier to change and maintain, the machines are more compact and you can go for a bigger diameter machine.

I don't see how chains and bars can be easier to maintain?

I've always gone for TT circular saw blades on my processors.

I've never had a moments trouble with them, cut fast and smooth and stay sharp for years, IME.

Admittedly I've no experience of any processors running chains, but have plenty of experience of chains and bars, they do require a fair bit of maintenance, IME.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a Trak Met semi automatic firewood processor. Nothing will touch it on price, and the 25t ram and 47cm capacity is useful. I however would not touch arb arisings with a bargepole. It is difficult to make money from firewood and I think the only way to do so is to either be very small with few overheads and free wood, or to be much larger with very high efficiency.

We are yet to properly test the machine (it's only done about 50 cube so far) but it seems to chug through 3m larch (at 10-40cm) at about 6 cube an hour. The production rates are so low on arb arisings that I doubt you'd do one cube an hour and the question is, is it actually worth it?

I don't see how chains and bars can be easier to maintain?

I've always gone for TT circular saw blades on my processors.

I've never had a moments trouble with them, cut fast and smooth and stay sharp for years, IME.

Admittedly I've no experience of any processors running chains, but have plenty of experience of chains and bars, they do require a fair bit of maintenance, IME.

There's pros and cons to both, it's just person preference I think.

We originally changed from circular saws because the chainsaws go bigger. We're up to a Tajfun 480 now and even if we liked circular saws it would be hard to find a reasonably priced one that size. Also when you chipped teeth it was alot more work to replace a circular saw and we had to take them away to be sharpened which meant having another expensive spare around.

We sharpen every 30 cube and dress the bar every 60 on average, that's not too bad on hardwood. They last a lot longer than a normal chainsaw because you only ever crosscut.

I have 10 chains on rotation and just keep changing them so downtime is only 10 minutes plus the odd re tensioning. There's also less dust with a chainsaw.

For arb waste you can't go wrong with a chainsaw and axe or hydraulic log splitter, and if your not doing a great volume then don't over complicate things by getting expensive machinery as all it will do is produce what u need then sit around for a while and obviously with more machinery comes more expense and more trouble with it breaking down or getting pinched!!