Clearing ground layer/understory of a small wood?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would whack the briars and nettles with SBK. Works better than glyphosate. It will weaken the ground elder. Repeated mowing will also deter the ground elder.

Worth noting that in a woodland setting the fresh green of ground elder against bluebells is quite appealing.

Grazon Pro works better than Glyphosate and SBK :blushing:but I dare not mention that on here.

NRA are only mildly comfortable with using Glyphosate near watercourses, hence why it would be my 1st choice in this setting.

OK so anyone know where I can hire a walk behind or RDC flail mower in the east midlands? Nottingham/Derby...

PM Arbwork, Jeremy Harper. He's got a 90hp alpine with a mulcher on the back. He has been out on a couple of jobs with it for me. Leaves a lovely finish you can spray straight on to.

[ame]

[/ame]

That was a similar job to yours but the material was bigger. Rubbish video but you get the idea

Edited by Jonny69

Give Kilworth near Ashby a ring Ben, they hire out either an alpine with a nice heavy duty flail or a remote controlled one.

I would say plan on mulching it a couple of times in the first year probably 2-3 and that should get you back to a reasonable amount of grass coming through then if needed you can spray out undesirables once you have a decent ride to walk through

heres what an alpine can do on a site in 2 days just over a days skidding out the listed garden and a day on the flail, The garden was chest deep brambles and you couldn't walk through it,

before and after

10846121_10152823453900944_1664847689956929299_n.jpg.5b495b21478d16b40f11c8c298c6101d.jpg

IMAG0412.jpg.be68a5de8cd7ddd0ce493fc9d994c4ed.jpg

IMAG0411.jpg.5167fa373ba03b31f79d29cc9fa7319f.jpg

Just started a similar job but not as bigger area, was part of the gardens at one time so various stone walls hiding under the ivy cover, have been and round upped it yesterday and see how it goes from there customer also wants all the self sets out and just leave the mature trees.

Big brushcutter and a mulching head I'd have thought to start with. Then a walk over survey, mark up/fell any horrors before they start having picnics under them, and float idea of thinning and planting up gaps if needed.

Nah.

Like this:

Gallery | Plant Hire in Cornwall

Or like LGP Eddies' pics.

Forget tractors and skid steers; you want the mulcher on a stick that can be moved independently of the base machine. Been there and done it. You need to leave a good surface finish; leaves the customer far more able to see what they've got.

Edited by TimberCutterDartmoor