Steve Bullman

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sounds about right.

Those dissectums go for about £20 for a titchy one in a pot.

Do you expect me to transplant successfully Mr. Bullman?

No, Mr. Acer. I expect you to die!

MWWWAAAAAAAAHHHAAAAAAAA!

Agreed, I'd stick the roots in a bucket of water for a few days, it'll soon tell you if it wants to live.

Not far off the mark at 75-100 quid id say,get them planted asap in a wind sheltered patch if you can steve.

They like good soil,slightly to the acidic side of the scale and good compost matter should go in first.

The purple ones like the sun as it helps the plant promote is beautiful purple colour.

Avoid planting in wet areas or in a crowded shrub area as they have short fibrous root systems and cannot tolerate competition from other plants.

Crackers mate,if i was down your way id take them off your hands

Edited by stihlmadasever

Hey Steve

I probably wouldnt pay anything for them for at least a year to be sure they survive. This would really be the worst time to have lited them, with their roots active & in soft full foliage. Double the size of the pots if you want a chance to help them make it through.

Hey Steve

I probably wouldnt pay anything for them for at least a year to be sure they survive. This would really be the worst time to have lited them, with their roots active & in soft full foliage. Double the size of the pots if you want a chance to help them make it through.

Yeah I know Nod, not a lot of choice though, it was part of a site clearance. They are not being potted, we just chucked them in the pots to make it easier to carry them

I've also rescued a few from sites I've worked on ,and have found them quite tolerant to being moved, done two decent sized ones about five years ago and they've romped away, here's one of them.

We did a purple one about like that with about a foot of root ball and it was dug up then replanted with no special preparation just a hole and firmed in then watered and it's still growing after about eight years.

Dug these 2 out today, they stand about 3ft tall. What sort of value would you put on these please?

I would put less value on them than a new one.

If they made it for a year and you gave me the choice between a nursery-grown specimen and one of those, I would certainly pick the nursery-grown.

After two years of growth, I think the value would become near equal. At least for the one on the left side because its form is reasonable.