World War 1 Memorial

Mike Dempsey

I was asked recently to design and make a memorial for a mate whose great uncle and wife's great uncle had both died at Flanders, co-incidently about 3 miles or so away from each other, and 2 years apart. He wanted to incorporate 2 poppies from the Tower of London and some rusty barbed wire.

This is what I came up with and used sycamore from a local estate which I milled and kiln dried.

Its spray lacquered before the laser engraving and has hanging plates on the reverse although it sits up ok.

Mike

597670e5b4379_ww1memorial1.jpg.afd3b920f5438bfd323f7cc279acf8e1.jpg

597670e5b7c1c_ww1memorial2.jpg.79dc85c99cf258797430bdc10e000e6e.jpg

597670e5b91f1_ww1memorial3.jpg.9ad6e645bbc737a68f393e88ec6242d8.jpg

597670e5bac7c_ww1memorial4.jpg.19c949c2dac76d8c46d9bf5457ca14c7.jpg

That's a fantastic bit of work, Mike. My wife and daughter went over to London for Remberence weekend in 2014 and were lucky enough to get to the Tower of London for the ceremony where the last ceramic poppy was laid. There was complete silence, very, very emotional and respect shown by all.

Not sure about the barbed wire, I might of gone with something else suggesting sacrifice and loss..

Can't think what but given time I'm sure I'd come up with something along those lines...

Perhaps you might have fashioned those poppies into two figures, two comrades sharing an embrace, or some such uplifting pose..

It was partly the client's design and he wanted to put the barbed wired around the poppy stems. The barbed wire played such a big part in this theatre that he wanted it included. The alternative was to put it around the edge of the 'gravestone' and we thought this looked a bit better. Its the first time that I have spray lacquered rusty barbed wire. At least he supplied it and has the cuts and scratches to prove it. He also got caught acquiring it from his landlord's field. She also has a poppy and she might order one as well.