Working in the north of the Basque Country

Hello

I know people have spoken about work in southern Europe on here in the past, and the replies frequently suggest it's difficult for an outsider to find work for various reasons, but I've got no choice about moving so it's worth a punt.

#

I'm moving to the Basque Country next month, probably living between St-Jean Pied-de-Port (Garazi) and Iraty. I've got relevant tickets and experience to work in domestic arb, commercial arb (utilities and rail) and forestry. Does anyone have any experience of working in that area, or close by. All advice is welcome but suggestions that I should stay at home are less helpful.

Cheers

Hodge

Hello

I know people have spoken about work in southern Europe on here in the past, and the replies frequently suggest it's difficult for an outsider to find work for various reasons, but I've got no choice about moving so it's worth a punt.

#

I'm moving to the Basque Country next month, probably living between St-Jean Pied-de-Port (Garazi) and Iraty. I've got relevant tickets and experience to work in domestic arb, commercial arb (utilities and rail) and forestry. Does anyone have any experience of working in that area, or close by. All advice is welcome but suggestions that I should stay at home are less helpful.

Cheers

Hodge

Hello Hodge,

Tell us your story, why are you moving?

Regards

Ty

Hello Hodge

The Basque is a very nice part of the world.

I had a study trip over in the region about 6 years ago climbing lapsed old beech pollards looking at restoration techniques.

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/picture-forum/11489-study-tour-basque-region-trees.html

The trees we studied were from four locations in northern Spain, three close to Leitza in the province of Navarra (at Pastain Borda, Urkizu and Areso) and at Oianleku, 25 km to the north-east, within the Aiako Harria Natural Park in the province of Gipuzkoa.

I was quite struck with the culture and the scenery. Sadly not had an opportunity to go back yet, but would love to.

Met some great locals, some of which were Arbs.

I may be able to get some contact details for you.

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1462913596.407057.jpg.98a7c3677bce4bad5ff7445a8ed4d4dd.jpg

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1462913613.825411.jpg.9be0971ddce5c4ceb2c5bbaa3d13380b.jpg

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1462913635.084275.jpg.c8b7256cb3ffb7c41bc37158e7cd34cc.jpg.

image.jpeg.07e01deed71c60eab334aacb9b24341f.jpeg

Edited by David Humphries

Cheers for that David, that's more encouraging than I was expecting. I enjoyed your post about the study tour, some fantastic pictures.

We have friends in Leitza, it's probably one of the most impressive places I've ever been as far as community and cultural identity go. Did you come across people speaking Euskara much?

Any contacts you can find would be gratefully received.

Cheers

Hodge

Edited by hodge grayson

Hello Hodge

The Basque is a very nice part of the world.

I had a study trip over in the region about 6 years ago climbing lapsed old beech pollards looking at restoration techniques.

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/picture-forum/11489-study-tour-basque-region-trees.html

The trees we studied were from four locations in northern Spain, three close to Leitza in the province of Navarra (at Pastain Borda, Urkizu and Areso) and at Oianleku, 25 km to the north-east, within the Aiako Harria Natural Park in the province of Gipuzkoa.

I was quite struck with the culture and the scenery. Sadly not had an opportunity to go back yet, but would love to.

Met some great locals, some of which were Arbs.

I may be able to get some contact details for you.

I remember that thread well, can't believe it was 6 years ago!

I remember that thread well, can't believe it was 6 years ago!

Time flys huh !

Can't believe it's nearly 10 years for Arbtalk :thumbup1:

Might be going back to the Basque later this year as its 10 years since the first studies on the pollard restoration took place.

Cheers for that David, that's more encouraging than I was expecting. I enjoyed your post about the study tour, some fantastic pictures.

We have friends in Leitza, it's probably one of the most impressive places I've ever been as far as community and cultural identity go. Did you come across people speaking Euskara much?

Any contacts you can find would be gratefully received.

Cheers

Hodge

We had interpreters with us (which helped a lot)

Amazing vocal and written language, tried to learn a few phrases before going but failed miserably :biggrin:

I've emailed one of the other members of our party who's still in contact with people out there. I'll pm you if I can get any specific details.

Regards

David

Hodge

you may of already but if not, try contacting the Basque Arb Association

Trepalari - Asociación de Arboricultura Vasco - Navarra

In the meantime, I'm still waiting on a colleague getting back with one or two specific contacts for you.

regards

David

Edited by David Humphries