Looking for woodland

What do people think about this splitting up of larger woodlands into small parcels?

Strikes me this often leads to poor outcomes for woodlands. Drainage doesn't get managed as a whole; forestry objectives in any management can be neglected; prices for woodland get inflated artificially.

What are the benefits?

It depends on the woodland. Some will be very neglected before being sold off so the problems already exist and may get better with the new owners.

I'm not a fan of woodlotting but I would say they over inflate prices, just provide what some people want.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think, in general, it's not a bad thing as most people who buy a plot just want to be able to spend time in a wood on their own terms and do some hobby forestry, management wise I think it's good cos it's easy for someone to care fore a small block and the varying methods of management could lead to wider biodiversity, more human activity may mean less deer damage as well.

It's funny you mention drainage as this is one of my main concerns with selling a couple of plots of mine as it gets very boggy in winter, but one of the reasons I'm selling is to have some capital to do some major drainage and dig a big pond. Other concern is vermin control if I get a couple of proper bunny huggers who don't like squirrels/bunnies/muntjac etc getting shot. As far as inflated prices go small blocks of any land will always go for big bucks ( good for me as I don't need to sell as much😀)

It's funny you mention drainage as this is one of my main concerns with selling a couple of plots of mine as it gets very boggy in winter, but one of the reasons I'm selling is to have some capital to do some major drainage and dig a big pond. Other concern is vermin control if I get a couple of proper bunny huggers who don't like squirrels/bunnies/muntjac etc getting shot.

You should be able to cover all that in a covenant or two. I.e. the buyers must agree to look after the drainage and control vermin or you're able to. It may be worth looking at the ones the woodlotting people use and adding to it as necessary.

What do people think about this splitting up of larger woodlands into small parcels?

Strikes me this often leads to poor outcomes for woodlands. Drainage doesn't get managed as a whole; forestry objectives in any management can be neglected; prices for woodland get inflated artificially.

What are the benefits?

I think most woodland is poorly managed if at all , mainly due to poor timber values , also only a very small percentage of woodland is being sold this way , big woodlands are needed to allow modern processing machinery to be viable, there fore small woods will be neglected , also woodlands will not be managed primarily for timber but for amenity , wildlife and leisure and sporting purposes purposes which will probably provide some opportunity for more arboricultural type of work , in some ways it could be compared to holiday / second homes but without the social controversy caused by that !

Felix - have you seen this one?

https://www.onthemarket.com/details/1305459/

Alec

Thanks Alec, I had but it was a bit rich for me. Also, it's a bit too close to the industrial estate next to the A12 which is the haunt of a man who has a penchant for helping himself to other people's kit on an industrial scale.

Dumb question, but how do you guys fund the woodland purchase? Is it just a mortgage type arrangement?

I ask as a friend an I have batted the idea around about buying one for amenity and ecological purposes, but no serious conversations yet other than "let's buy a woodland"

Cash! I have been looking and saving since 1998 albeit half heartedly kids, life, etc.You can get a straight mortgage. I enquired a few years back its was 6% ecology loan. I am looking at the bottom end of the market 3k to 6k. 5 to 10 acres. As to the reason of small lots. I am Worried about taking to much on and having to fork out for matainance labour etc (and would not be fair n the woodland) Looking for a copse really, with good access and a split woodland dose not appeal neighbours, maybe boundry issues. Not that i want to make money out of it but prices are roughly 2 to 3 x now. And as others have said it depends on location. A bit of firewood and somewhere to disappear too.