Log cabin build vrs timber frame

AndyChalmers

They sure are, never met Charlie, but Mayrick and me go back a long way. I remember him telling me about that project - big slab walls? - he's a talented guy thats for sure.

I always wanted to have a go at building a proper log cabin. Would be hard to get the interior suitably finished for paying guests though, without tons of work, or using machined logs, or boarding out the inside - and that defeats the purpose

:thumbup:

They've done loads of stuff - most isn't even on their website. Our barn is waney clad with larch so think you may be thinking of another project.

I think a lot of guests would be well up for paying to stay in a cabin that is proper rustic.

cheers, steve

My planning application had the one with the balcony on it using round real logs. 3 years in the planning and I was addement on a real log cabin however Im Swaying for the Cedar Clad modern style timber frame now but with a covered decked area & balcony so a bit of both. Great point with reference to your comments on hiding the 1st & 2nd fix on the timber frame. I will however build a propper log cabin on a smaller scale myself, as been a childhood dream. Keep the comments comming.

Then to find someone to build it :confused1:

there is plenty of information out there, especially on some of the american sites about how much insulation "r" value is actually present in solid log construction,it is that to most grey suited planners, "its not a square brick box, must be wrong" atitude wont be swayed,I struggled with certain planners about the fire resistance of solid log buildings and it took two reports, both from american sources to change there minds, till some new blood shakes up the antiquated planning rules we have in this country, were going to have to fight for anything different