My name or Business name . . .

Ian88

Just been thinking about this over the last few weeks. I have been working as a sole trader with my own name for the last 5 years, I have been involved with tree and countryside work since 17, I am 28 now. I have a smart 4x4 truck that is about to be converted to tipper+lock box, chipper and most of the other tat to go with. I work hard and keep it professional :/ Also living on the farm I have access to machinery, workshop and storage. I am feeling in a pretty good position and once the truck conversion is finished in 3 weeks I want to step it up a bit. 95% of my custom is word of mouth and pretty localized, great but at the same time I want to get out there. I am going to be in bit of debt as well wile I pay off the vehicle so an extra push . . .

I currently work under - Ian Geddes - Tree wordland and countryside work.

9a0eo3.jpg

I feel I have a pretty good image with this but dont know how keen on it long term, I hadn't thought to much about it before but with me wanting to get the vehicle sign written, get a few flyers out, website and push to a new client base now may be a good time to re-think. I am sure that a lot of you have had to think about this at some point? Thoughts and opinions would be great to hear.

My reasons are

*Does it look more professional? For private and potential contracts

*Do I want my personal identity separate from my work?

*The future, if I was ever to be a registered business or ltd?

*If there was ever a value in the business it would be easier to pass on/sell.

Thank you,

Hi Ian,

Just a "sideways" observation, whatever one of those is :confused1::biggrin:, if at some future stage you wanted to go 'ARB Approved,' perhaps to help access commercial work etc., and you changed the business name substantially, we could not include the previous business longevity in the pre-requisite 2 years trading, e.g. IG Trees Ltd = a completely new company and new entity whereas "Geddes Trees / Geddes Trees Ltd." should be fine.

"Good luck" with your new venture..

Paul

Even though I operate under a LTD company (for a plethora of reasons), I think there is a lot of value in operating under your own name as this adds a more personal touch. When looking for a service, do you sway more towards hiring the faceless company or the sole trader who seems more personable and accessible. I personally go for the latter, but perhaps that's just me.

If you decide to keep trading under your own name, just be aware that there is another Ian Geddes, tree surgeon in San Francisco!

What are the chances?

So you need to differentiate yourself if you want to be found on search engines. Whatever you call your business, it may be best to get a domain name that includes something like "tree surgeon yourtown" or "treesurgery yourtown" as it makes it easier to get found on Google.

Hope your expansion goes well.

Hi Ian,

Just a "sideways" observation, whatever one of those is :confused1::biggrin:, if at some future stage you wanted to go 'ARB Approved,' perhaps to help access commercial work etc., and you changed the business name substantially, we could not include the previous business longevity in the pre-requisite 2 years trading, e.g. IG Trees Ltd = a completely new company and new entity whereas "Geddes Trees / Geddes Trees Ltd." should be fine.

"Good luck" with your new venture..

Paul

Why is this? Imo, you either have 2 years previous trading or you don't. Hypothetically, what if Geddes Trees Ltd was taken by another company so you couldn't register it?

I am restructuring and renaming my business (from one Ltd Co to another Ltd co) so that means I have to wait 2 years to become aa approved?

Its a shame because chas, constructionline, etc. don't have these rules.

I would go with your surname then a description as it's a good balance between professional and personal. For example we started of with my dad using his name selling firewood alongside the farm then we started a separate business called Hormann's Firewood which meant our older customers know who we are.

Also it helps in the bank when people make cheques out to your name for the business account.

Why is this? Imo, you either have 2 years previous trading or you don't. Hypothetically, what if Geddes Trees Ltd was taken by another company so you couldn't register it?

I am restructuring and renaming my business (from one Ltd Co to another Ltd co) so that means I have to wait 2 years to become aa approved?

Its a shame because chas, constructionline, etc. don't have these rules.

Yes, I have to agree. Name change doesn't change time served by either a sole trader/an individual it's simply a cosmetic thing. Strangely changing from sole trader to limited company with a similar name is a massive change though and something I thought the AA would have had an issue with as the limited co is a totally new legal identity in itself an not tied to an individual

Edited by Gareth Dalzell

Yes, I have to agree. Name change doesn't change time served by either a sole trader/an individual it's simply a cosmetic thing. Strangely changing from sole trader to limited company with a similar name is a massive change though and something I thought the AA would have had an issue with as the limited co is a totally new legal identity in itself an not tied to an individual

The ltd co is "tied" to the director(s) of the ltd co. If one or more of the directors can show 2 years or more in the business then I cant see why the AA would make the ltd co wait 2 years for registration when theres a demonstrable track history

The ltd co is "tied" to the director(s) of the ltd co. If one or more of the directors can show 2 years or more in the business then I cant see why the AA would make the ltd co wait 2 years for registration when theres a demonstrable track history

I see what you mean but I was looking at it from the legal identity angle - the Ltd company is a identity in itself a not a person so it's the company not its directors that holds AA approval and this Ltd Co can be bought and sold freely to someone without 2.years experience the next day.