Cheapest chain oil?

jamallio96

Carcinogenic in mice, according to the study. Any human data?

I'm not discounting it, but when did you last eat a bacon sandwich or drink alcohol?

Yes there is a fair amount of historical evidence. It's contaminated with Benzo[a]pyrene a polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon found formed as a product of incomplete combustion, so also in tobacco smoke and plain old soot. If it enters the body it is metabolised by the cells and the results are mutagenic.

It's effect was first noted in young chimney sweeps and the scrotal cancer was the first recognised industrial disease.

The same scrotal cancer in young american mechanics was identified as coming from oily rags and clothing.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I run out of chain oil on a job a few week ago so I nipped to the shop and bought some veg oil,it did the job but was a bit messy on the saws, my mate has been doing tree work over 20 years and has never used chain oil ever, he always uses cheap supermarket engine oil.

I bought some chain oil from northern arb recently and it just looked like waste veg oil, but I can't remember if it was Oregon or husqvarna oil

I read that veg oil is ok - should be a particular type (Canola/rapeseed). In some supermarkets the singletype oil is relatively expensive but their 'vegatable' oil is only has rapeseed as the listed oil on the ingredients and is loads cheaper. I think the last lot I bought was Lidl's finest. I then mix it 50/50 with oregon bio oil.

It baffles me why anyone would use anything other than bio oil, a high proportion of it ends up on the ground. When doin woodland work we often use 25lt a week (oilers turned down) that's a fair bit of oil to be speeding round. I pay 48£ for 25lt Oregon bio and similar for Clark forests bio. Used engine oil urgh😖

It baffles me why anyone would use anything other than bio oil, a high proportion of it ends up on the ground. When doin woodland work we often use 25lt a week (oilers turned down) that's a fair bit of oil to be speeding round. I pay 48£ for 25lt Oregon bio and similar for Clark forests bio. Used engine oil urgh😖

Where do you get it from at £48? I'd much prefer bio oil, and for that price would happily buy it over mineral :-)

Wasn't expecting it to turn into a thread about cancer...But thanks for the suggestions! I think I'll have a looksee at Rye Oils :-)

I bought 25l of Rye oil of eBay for £47 delivered I think it was, really don't rate it at all & won't be buying it again, back to oregon next time I think.