Pto winch to hydraulic

Gray git

Gray, could you not just mount a normal hydraulic winch to the front of the tractor and redirect the rope over or through the front loader with guides?

The tractor hydraulics have no problems with the six ton superwinch.

Just thoughts

image.jpg2_zpsu3pk276q.jpg

It's an option I'm looking at and that'd mean that the winch would be on all the time for self recovery when I next get stuck. Could easily put a remote control solenoid valve in it as well.

I've got a hydraulic one on the front of my wagon, but find it painfully slow.

Too slow to extract volume in a forestry situation.

Bob, are all yours slow or do I need to tweak something somewhere?

They are only on the fronts of our tractors for recovery and pulling in the odd tree, the winch tractor does all the other stuff. They are slow but not painfully, for pulling stuff up a bank roadside I would have thought a hydraulic winch would be ok.

Bob

A mate has bought some sort of chain winch for the front of his tractor, runs off a hydraulic spool and is apparently really fast (can obviously be slowed down if necessary). The chain drops into a bucket below so there are no issues with bunching on the drum etc if pulling at strange angles.

That setup of Eddie's is very nice too.

Bob's suggestion would also do your job - the only problem with running the more traditional hydraulic winches can be cable bunching if not feeding straight onto the drum.

If you look into hydraulic winches/motors remember to consider pressure as well as flow - I recently bought an ex mod hydraulic winch for the front of my tractor (I originally only needed a bit more front weight to balance the mulcher on the back). I have fantastic 'power beyond' load sensing hydraulics on the tractor, so incorrectly assumed that it would be more than adequate to run the winch... I have more than enough flow, but needed 300 bar (most tractors only deliver upto 180 bar I now know!). More expense followed with a dedicated pto pump and it is now a proper monster, but it ended up a dear old do!

I've got an idea to get a 2nd hand pto forestry winch and make up a linkage adapter so I can carry it on the front loader of my massy, originally this was just a transport solution to get it to and from site if I had 1 of the trailers on the back but then I started to wounder if there is a way of fitting a hydraulic motor onto the pto shaft and plug it into the extra service in the loader to be able to run it.

Anyone done similar or any advice on if it's feasible or what type/size motor I'll need nd if anyone makes an easy on off collar for 1 similar to the pump on the botex trailer.

I looked into this a while back thinking of making up a hydraulically driven PTO to fit on an adapter plate on the front of my Schӓffer 442 loader. I recall that I worked out that from a hydraulic flow rate of 48 litres per minute at 180 bar pressure I would be able to get around 23HP at the PTO. That didn't seem enough to be worthwhile. Flowfit can supply hydraulic motors with standard 6 spline output shafts. There is an American website that has calculators for working out the power that you can get at different pressure and flow rates: http://www.surpluscenter.com/shop.axd/TechHelp

More recently I have been looking at hydraulic winches to fit either on the front of the Unimog and on the front of the Schӓffer. The Farmi EV300 (3 tonne) seems to be available in the UK (Corwen Forestry and M Large) although the Farmi website also has the Farmi EV35 (3.5t) which looks like a more modern version. The also looks to have been an EV45.

The hydraulic chain winch that you mention is possibly a Rabaud that Ryetec are now selling:

Ryetec Rabaud Tractor Hydraulic Forestry Timber Winch | eBay

Edited by Tom at Heartwood
  • Like 1

Gray recently fitted a pto pump on the back of his tractor for running the timber crane on his trailer, it may be an option to mount the hydraulic winch to the crane jib for pulling the trees up the bank. We had one on the jib of our timber trailer that went behind the mog, it proved very useful in these situations.

Bob

Gray recently fitted a pto pump on the back of his tractor for running the timber crane on his trailer, it may be an option to mount the hydraulic winch to the crane jib for pulling the trees up the bank. We had one on the jib of our timber trailer that went behind the mog, it proved very useful in these situations.

Bob

Now that's a good plan!

Never considered that as an option, easy to position exactly where needed and alter angle of pull mid way if needed.

I'd love to be able to afford a hydraulic chain winch as can really see the benefits of it but not sure what some of our clients would say as speck synthetic winch lines only on some jobs (luckily not this 1) so all the front mounts on the vehicles have plasma line fitted now.

Now that's a good plan!

Never considered that as an option, easy to position exactly where needed and alter angle of pull mid way if needed.

I'd love to be able to afford a hydraulic chain winch as can really see the benefits of it but not sure what some of our clients would say as speck synthetic winch lines only on some jobs (luckily not this 1) so all the front mounts on the vehicles have plasma line fitted now.

That sounds like an unusual request.

Why have they specified synthetic rope over steel? purely on safety grounds?