Horse chestnut

CHC

I'm a user rather than a seller, so my advice may be way off, but I'd have thought that if you're selling it for open fires you'd do well to keep it separate.

For log burner guys like me, who burn pretty much anything so long as it's properly seasoned it wouldn't impact the price either way so long as it wasn't too high a percentage of the overall load.

I split some large lumps down maybe 2 years ago, then put them through a processor about 9 months later. This was a dead diseased Horse Chesnut of massive proportions, over 200 growth rings.

The billeted lumps were stacked against a hedge in the open over autumn winter and spring, most grew spores on the ends. The following summer I cut the ends off ( the spores had all died anyway) and processed it. All the bark falls off and there is far more crumbling on the splitter knife than normal so unless you have a filter you do get a fair bit of crap in the bags, not excessive but somewhat more than I would expect.

You do get some beautiful figuring under the bark, so keep your eye open. Once dry it burns pretty fast but in a stove puts out good heat. I put a good amount of it through my showroom stove this last winter.

A

Horse chestnut is light, yes, but I wasn't aware of it spitting. Sweet chestnut spits for sure, but I haven't noticed horse ch doing it.

It's a good wood, it burns. It is here and there in some woods, obviously about in gardens, and can be burnt on it's own no problem, or mixed with something slower to keep in all night. Lets not be too fussy over all this.

• 2 years later...

Bringing this thread back, burning Horse Chestnut that has Leaf Miner and Bleeding Canker, would this bring back any reprecussion’s ?

Taken down a large Horse Chestnut today and deciding whether I should take a load for myself, (already aware it’s not the greatest firewood)