Horse chestnut

CHC

2 hours ago, TTownsend said:

Bringing this thread back, burning Horse Chestnut that has Leaf Miner and Bleeding Canker, would this bring back any reprecussion’s ?

Taken down a large Horse Chestnut today and deciding whether I should take a load for myself, (already aware it’s not the greatest firewood)

Get it split and dry , mix it with other stuff . All I can say really .

My thoughts aswell, reading online about disposal of bleeding canker and says burn on site or bury. So can’t see the harm in taking for firewood, going to be stored near no trees in barn.
  • Like 1

Without checking I think burn or bury on site is an attempt to contain the infection in the locale.

One of the big vectors of pathogens is moving timber for firewood (private use or commercially). The Emerald ash borer is a classic example 

But saying all that, bleeding canker is probably so wide spread now that the online advice is out of date.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

I'm just in process of cutting up very big branch of 400 year old horse chestnut that got damaged fell down in recent storms. Despite it being disconnected from the main tree it's still putting out buds/growing.

Tested some of the didn't l smaller branches (6" or so diameter and moisture meter reading . 50-90% moisture.

Burning happily in log burner. With door frame soft wood. No smoke, no sparks, just loads of heat.

I'm just in process of cutting up very big branch of 400 year old horse chestnut that got damaged fell down in recent storms. Despite it being disconnected from the main tree it's still putting out buds/growing.
Tested some of the didn't l smaller branches (6" or so diameter and moisture meter reading . 50-90% moisture.
Burning happily in log burner. With door frame soft wood. No smoke, no sparks, just loads of heat.

You’re burning logs with over 50% mc?[emoji15]

On 08/05/2018 at 20:57, Stubby said:

No often I disagree with Stubby, but- total waste of effort. I will burn anything, but all you will get from horse chestnut is a load of ash and pathetic heat.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, doobin said:

No often I disagree with Stubby, but- total waste of effort. I will burn anything, but all you will get from horse chestnut is a load of ash and pathetic heat.

Yea . Thats the truth in reallity . Its why I suggested mixing it in with other , better burning wood .

Edited by Stubby

1 hour ago, Stubby said:

Yea . Thats the truth in reallity . 

I was given a horse Chestnut stem last year. Getting near burning the last of it now, it gave adequate heat, for my purposes. Burns so quickly though. Bad use of storage space for energy return...

Edited by Haironyourchest
  • Like 1

I've been burning some recently (may have already said that, can't be bothered to check page 1).  It's giving more heat than I remembered but the ash it leaves is nuts.  Yes it tries to grow for a while after cutting.

400?? I thought they were only brought to the UK about 100-120 years ago

• Like 1

1 hour ago, neiln said:

I've been burning some recently (may have already said that, can't be bothered to check page 1).  It's giving more heat than I remembered but the ash it leaves is nuts.  Yes it tries to grow for a while after cutting.

400?? I thought they were only brought to the UK about 100-120 years ago

Cut & paste:

"Horse chestnut is native to the Balkan Peninsula. It was first introduced to the UK from Turkey in the late 16th century and widely planted."