Should I have Eucalyptus tree removed

Trish

Hello, I don't know much about trees so I need some advice please. I have a eucalyptus tree that's getting carried away with itself, it's about 4 or 5ft from the back of the garage, I've attached a photo if it works, the garage is actually about 2ft lower than the garden level. The tree is getting too tall so I either want it pruning if that's possible or removing. I don't know whether it has shallow roots or not so do you think the tree roots will damage the garage if I get it pruned or should I just bite the bullet and have it removed now? Also, daft question but if I leave a stump so it may send up side branches as a shrub will the roots keep growing as vigorously and still possibly damage the garage? Thanks

001.jpg.89a60bfb5f9279ab6c0f7a13f40369b7.jpg

Yes it needs to come out, if you prune it it will only make it angry.

Very fast growing so could damage your garage sooner rather than later.

Poison the stump after to prevent possible sprouting.

Approximate cost £200.

Edited by Mick Dempsey

We had two eucs, both significantly larger than that, in our garden when we moved in (2007). I originally thought they would have been about the same age as the house (mid 1970s, similar to yours by the looks of the design) but no, my wife met one of the previous owners by chance and found out the trees had been planted some time around 1990 and had been heavily pollard at least once in the interim years. As an indication of scale, I stood in the crown of one tree and was above the apex line of our roof, house is 2 storey plus pitched roof like yours.

One was where I wanted to put a shed, so I dug out the roots. Lots of spread just under the surface, which was doing the surrounding garden no good.

In terms of getting the stump / root removed, the stump that I left I did try to grow (vigorously at that) but I bored 25mm holes about 50mm apart, a few inches down from the hinge, then painted generously with creocote. This didn't kill any of the other plants around the stump but did stop the Euc growth.

So in summary - fast growing, too close to the building in your case - get rid now before it grows more. But unless you need the space for something urgently, no need to get the stump ground out IMO.

Great firewood once seasoned by the way, although seasoning takes about 3 years and it is a witch to split!

Thanks for your replies, I'll get it removed and then kill the roots, I think access might be awkward to grind the stump and no rush. Hopefully it can be done without damaging any plants around it too much.

I did ask at the large, well known garden centre where it was bought as 'a shrub' and they didn't have a clue. All the growth has happened in a few years so I can see it will take over.

Someone just told me to go to Chester zoo and borrow a koala to get it under control :lol: I live in the middle of Cheshire if anyone is near by for a quote. Thanks again.

The location of the tree is a shame. I agree with the others that yes, it should sadly be removed before structural damage / further structural damage is caused. Do be sure to remove the stump also. IMO, stumps are also major trip hazards that take up valuable space.