Alpine magnum stump grinder

Oaklay

Can anyone give me any feed back or info on the above machine? Reliability, speed, running costs etc Or suitable alternative. We have a big site grinder and a pedestrian grinder. The only stumps we can't do is the real bad access ones. Just lost what I consider a really good enquiry due to access.

Also we are in Devon, if anyone has a suitable machine and would be interested in doing the bad access stumps for us please get in touch.

Many thanks

they are hard work! especially if you are used to big grinders. You have to dig around the stump to start with. The moment the teeth hit anything other than wood they go dull and when they are dull its even harder work. But i have ground out a 3ft+ euc stump in the middle of a well established shrubbery in half a day.

they are hard work! especially if you are used to big grinders. You have to dig around the stump to start with. The moment the teeth hit anything other than wood they go dull and when they are dull its even harder work. But i have ground out a 3ft+ euc stump in the middle of a well established shrubbery in half a day.

Thanks very much, sounds ok, don't mind hard work, shouldn't be to often as others grinders can do most of the work. Can you tell me how much they cost? And how much the teeth are? I'm aware they are powered by a big saw, which we already have. Can we just bolt the saw onto it when we need the grinder, so we have use of the saw for normal work? Or does it not work like that and the saw has to be dedicated grinding saw? Many thanks

I've had mine now for about 5/6 years i think it was about 3500 but that included the husky powerhead with a modified exhaust which is very loud! i have never separated the two as i have an 880. i have never even had to take the cover off so i don't even know whats inside, i know its belt driven so presumably it would need a different sprocket arrangement.

Don't put oil in the power head

needs 35:1 mix as per instructions

i bought 5 sets of teeth when i bought the machine i think they were £30ish per set.

there were several videos on youtube to watch and on their website

A set of teeth is about 60 now, the machine itself is about twice the price as it was a few years ago.

The transport-wheels are a must. Swapping the powerhead seems not reasonable to me, too much hassle for just a few cuts.

On the other site there is a very experienced longtime user who tried different power heads and went back to the original stihl 760 head, which he found to be the most reliable. I really like it too, 111cm³ and much torque and power at lower revs, where modern saws start to pick up juice. A reasonable engine characteristic for this application.

They are really hard work and you loose money until you've learnt how to use them.

But you really can do stuff no one else can do and charge a premium rate.

As a main machine? Never.

As a machine for a professional stump-removing-service, a must. Would never sell mine.

I see why they are so rarely available second hand.

Regards Marne

• 3 weeks later...
Can anyone give me any feed back or info on the above machine? Reliability, speed, running costs etc Or suitable alternative. We have a big site grinder and a pedestrian grinder. The only stumps we can't do is the real bad access ones. Just lost what I consider a really good enquiry due to access.

Also we are in Devon, if anyone has a suitable machine and would be interested in doing the bad access stumps for us please get in touch.

Many thanks

Hi Oaklay,

I've been weighing up buying an Alpine Magnum for a while after also losing jobs that don't have sufficient access for my tracked grinder. I'm prepared to accept limitations the Alpine Magnum may have plus the seemingly quite high cost in exchange for its portability and versatility. Hopefully this will be money well spent and a useful addition to my business. Should you decide not to get one of your own then I'd be happy to help you out. I'm based in Someset and don't mind travelling to Devon.