lawn improvements

miker

if id known i was gonna start a row i wouldnt have posted anything lol

i have been in this game 25 years and never seen a lawn (if you can call it that) in such a poor state, i really think i will have to overseed or possibly lay new turf.

thanks for all the input

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if id known i was gonna start a row i wouldnt have posted anything lol

i have been in this game 25 years and never seen a lawn (if you can call it that) in such a poor state, i really think i will have to overseed or possibly lay new turf.

thanks for all the input

What's the thatch layer like? Maybe scarify first? This will promote new growth as well by splicing the rizomes and stolons.

I think your saying the OP has no common sense. I did not. Try not to be so hard on yourself about not giving credit where where credit is due.

Having a soil sample collected and tested rules out any doubt about weather the ph is to high or low. Once this has been completed a more reliable means of creating a lawn maintenance program is what my customers have relied on for years. It just works better here in my part of the world since we do not have soil per say, just sand and lots of it so the need to amend with the correct chemicals in the first place is a must.

Anyone can and will apply many different chemicals and soil amendments to help create a better lawn from a growth and appearance standpoint. The cost of a soil test is $25.00 USD and I have never had a failure by taking the time to not second guess my customers lawn needs.

No chemistry set required since I have people do that for me.

I sure would like to see some before and after pictures of the lawn from the OP. Just on a side note what is the percentage of iron in the lawn sand you speak of and what is the most common means of applying this material?.

Cyclone spreader or drop spreader?

easy-lift guy

Hey, I re-read my post and I was prob a little harsh. Not getting much sleep, new baby and all that! Not your problem though so sorry dude.

Lawn sand is used at a high rate (90g/pm2) to kill off moss and a low rate (35-50g/pm2) to just green up the grass.

It also encourages finer grass species to come through and helps balance Ph levels in the soil which in turn can help to deter earth worm activity.

The percentages vary from producer to producer but I think it's 3-4% iron and 3-4% nitrogen.

We use it a lot as its relatively cheap compared to other 'weed and feeds' which can be in excess of £20-25 per 25kg but when we buy our sand in bulk I think we pay £6-7 per bag! Generic lawn feeds over here are packed with nitrogen which make the grass shoot up rapidly, but lawn sand is a lot slower due to the reduced nitrogen content, which, in turn, doesn't leave you having to mow every few days!!

We apply with a rotary spreader but a drop spreader can be used. (Personally hate drop spreaders though as there is a fine line between overdosing an overlap or missing an overlap completely!)

If it's overwintered at 10mm I would wait and see. Don't be in a hurry to fertilize until good growth starts and you know where you are.

Given the scalping I would be wary of moss taking a hold. When growth does start don't bash it back in a hurry. Cut and lift if you can.

Since the OP was seeking advise on improving the appearance of her new customers lawn I stick by my opinions simply because there based in fact and science. Sand unless fortified with other trace elements like nitrogen, phosphorus or pot ash, will not green up any ones lawn. Liquid Iron will green up ones lawn as long as the product is applied only to the turf ares and no driveways or sidewalks. Knowing the soil ph of any soil is a basic road map as to what the turf is lacking in order to grow more efficiently and naturally choke out undesirable weeds and the like. Cultural praticices like cutting high can only produce more photosynthesise, however the weeds need to be controlled as well in order to have a really nice lawn. Just common sense for the most part.

easy-lift guy

:thumbup:

Not far off kew gardens then!?! Personally I'd apply a nitrogen feed @ review in a fortnights time but re-seeding will be cheaper than turfing. Got any pictures?

i will get some pics when i am there next:thumbup1: