Yew timber

eddiegts

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was involved in a similar fell a few years back after the owner had young children on two occasions eat berries one of them was not hers so that was more of a scare of being sued ...also with the tree being right by the back door of the house it meant berries been trod through the house by children all the time as well!, initially my response was tell them not to eat the berries and make them take there shoes off!! But kids will be kids. The tree officer obviously didn't want the hassle so agreed on a fell.

Any way the tree was lucky to have been over a 100 , it appears in late Victorian times chaining mutli stems together so they fused quickly to give the appearance of an older tree was common practice with yew as I was expecting mine to be over 300 .... I could be wrong but I imagine this tree to be a near exact situation... So to the original poster get on and fell the tree and get it milled up because if you don't and there's permission plenty of contractors will jump on it!

Oh come on Matty any tree like that dont deserve to be felled unleess it has to be there are plenty of diseases and parasites attacking our trees , such a shame to see it come down , but as its going to no matter what I bet it will milll up nicely and live on as furniture , I wouldnt mind some boards from it , but still a sad loss to our trees

Cheers Mark

Oh come on Matty any tree like that dont deserve to be felled unleess it has to be there are plenty of diseases and parasites attacking our trees , such a shame to see it come down , but as its going to no matter what I bet it will milll up nicely and live on as furniture , I wouldnt mind some boards from it , but still a sad loss to our trees

Cheers Mark

No it does not deserved to be felled but on the bright side it should mill nice... On all of that I think it puts the tree officers in a very hard place when people start threatening legal action if there kids are harmed by berries!! Very sad times we live in that trees like this can't be protected but we don't make the rules.

No it's not coming down for a mosque.

You really shouldn't let me give him silly ideas of what I tell the public when they walk into a site preaching some utter rubbish about how that tree isn't allowed to be felled and that they haven't even read the planning application that went in 8 weeks ago.

I was involved in a similar fell a few years back after the owner had young children on two occasions eat berries one of them was not hers so that was more of a scare of being sued ...also with the tree being right by the back door of the house it meant berries been trod through the house by children all the time as well!, initially my response was tell them not to eat the berries and make them take there shoes off!! But kids will be kids. The tree officer obviously didn't want the hassle so agreed on a fell.

Any way the tree was lucky to have been over a 100 , it appears in late Victorian times chaining mutli stems together so they fused quickly to give the appearance of an older tree was common practice with yew as I was expecting mine to be over 300 .... I could be wrong but I imagine this tree to be a near exact situation... So to the original poster get on and fell the tree and get it milled up because if you don't and there's permission plenty of contractors will jump on it!

The situation is exactly the same!

We have spoken about fencing it off & reducing. If we reduced it then fenced off the area it would give them no space the tree is very close to the house & the back door to the house is inline with the tree. The owners will not have access to the rest of the gardens because it's open to the public they want a safe place for there to walk out of the house & play.

I have delayed the job as many times as possible to try and convince them but it's worked!

• 2 weeks later...

Why is it being chainsaw milled? Surely an effort could have been made to get it out whole and then band milled. So wasteful. A 5ft butt (which that looked to be) cut at 50mm with a chainsaw mill wastes at least 4 extra boards to sawdust, not taking into account the thicker top and bottom cuts required for chainsaw milling.

Gutted it's been felled, disappointed that it hasn't been milled to it's full potential.