TreeStuff Aerial Friction Brake

arbormonkey

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gonna have to agree with Mr Bullman here. I see it being pretty pointless having the friction decide in the tree, as pointed out, you are always going to need varying amounts of friction which is none adjustable if it's up in the tree.

Gonna have to agree with Mr Bullman here. I see it being pretty pointless having the friction decide in the tree, as pointed out, you are always going to need varying amounts of friction which is none adjustable if it's up in the tree.

I don't find that to be true, honestly just about the only times I take more than 1 wrap on the porty is when im negative rigging, when I am right next to the block anyway. I can't think of too many times I take two wraps on the Porta wrap when my block is high in the tree and the weak link is the gin and the tree itself. For two wrap pieces the gin is lower in the tree or I'm negative rigging. Three wrap is very rare.

I don't find that to be true, honestly just about the only times I take more than 1 wrap on the porty is when im negative rigging, when I am right next to the block anyway. I can't think of too many times I take two wraps on the Porta wrap when my block is high in the tree and the weak link is the gin and the tree itself. For two wrap pieces the gin is lower in the tree or I'm negative rigging. Three wrap is very rare.

Ok, so what about when the limb doesn't need any wraps at all, it ends up just hanging there with too much friction to drop.

I'll agree that I don't often take more than 1 or 2 wraps but what I do do often is use half a wrap, just a pin or no wraps. In these low friction situations a wrap or 2 in the tree is gonna be a pain in the ass and in my opinion it'll slow the job down. Plus when it's comes time to pull the line back to the climber you will constantly be pulling on a wrap making the man on the grounds job harder

Ok, so what about when the limb doesn't need any wraps at all, it ends up just hanging there with too much friction to drop.

Then you should have cut n chuked it you big girl :P i can see the point but if I really needed in tree friction I'd rather save my money and just natural crotch it

I can't really see how these can be much use in general rigging. You are going to be rigging different size pieces that need differing amounts of friction, and your friction device is going to be out of reach most of the time. Sorry, I don't get it.

Me neither, it's like re inventing the wheel.

However say you where doing a reduction over a fancy patio and had a novice Groundie, inexperienced in wraps, you could run your lowering line through a main central pully and then use this as a redirect that you move about with you and set the wraps each time dependent on the size of Limb being removed without having to worry about him/her getting dragged into the tree or stopping them dead