Micro forestry

Minimal is too much; shouldn't be any.

We've recently done a 80% clearfell on elm (the remaining 20% was ash/maple/sycamore) and it's impossible not to leave some brash around stacks. Elm brash is awful to manually handle and even fairly small product lengths are stupidly heavy. As such, it's quicker to try to be intelligent about your felling (ie bunch your crowns into one pile) and not worry too much about removing every last piece of brash from stacks. We've found this to be quicker.

Great video of the Kinetic - some lump of timber he loaded too :thumbup1:

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good read of opinions on the kinetic here (need to translate it)

Kinetic 8T ny miniskotare | skogsforum.se

Big plus is standard crane is 4.7m opposed to alstors 3.5m and cheaper. Big drawback is can't drive it in reverse/loading position unlike alstor

I am not sure if the guys on the Swedish forum were discussing an earlier model but the current Kinetic 8x8 can be driven from the 'reverse' crane operation position by using controls on the spool block.

All the alpines that I have seen have a land drive PTO. This means that you could have a purpose built trailer and a prop running to the trailer axles so you could have 6x6 or 8x8 drive. Might cost a few quid to build but it would be a handy machine, decent floatations tyres and maybe even band tracks on the trailer, should go most places. BCS do an alpine with centre articulation as well as a steering front axle so much better turning circle..

They look great but they are too expensive new. What is the price of a reasonably specced 833?

Edit: 58,000 euros start price, which is about 20,000 euros more than the Kinectic and more than a fully specced Kranman Bison 10000.

They look great but they are too expensive new. What is the price of a reasonably specced 833?

Edit: 58,000 euros start price, which is about 20,000 euros more than the Kinectic and more than a fully specced Kranman Bison 10000.

Funny how everyone is raving about the kinetic when no one has driven it or actually ran one flat out for a season , Alstors have fifteen years of development / working in the forest . The price for the alstor i think is reasonable with the amount of work it can generate and the reliability and the small foot print it creates to enable you to work hard to access sites and sssi woodlands etc .

You think because i run one i am biased when it comes to a these machines bit far from it if something came along and was better i would buy it , business is business but for seven years there is nothing better , Bison six wheel drive is not a patch on the alstor 821 i saw them in elmia , the kinetic made by country not a fan and most of it looks like a rip off of a alstor .... i don't want to be seen as a ranter but if you run a business and are going to to spend £40,000 plus new you want to think its reliable and proven machine . Anyway i will carry on making money with mine it works and the resale value is excellent when it comes to upgrade ....

Funny how everyone is raving about the kinetic when no one has driven it or actually ran one flat out for a season , Alstors have fifteen years of development / working in the forest . The price for the alstor i think is reasonable with the amount of work it can generate and the reliability and the small foot print it creates to enable you to work hard to access sites and sssi woodlands etc .

You think because i run one i am biased when it comes to a these machines bit far from it if something came along and was better i would buy it , business is business but for seven years there is nothing better , Bison six wheel drive is not a patch on the alstor 821 i saw them in elmia , the kinetic made by country not a fan and most of it looks like a rip off of a alstor .... i don't want to be seen as a ranter but if you run a business and are going to to spend £40,000 plus new you want to think its reliable and proven machine . Anyway i will carry on making money with mine it works and the resale value is excellent when it comes to upgrade ....

My experience of the Alstors is that they are a great concept but that they are fragile. I've seen a stray bit of brash bend the lemon joint on the prop shaft, I've seen a weld fail on the outriggers when really it shouldn't.

I don't dispute that they are good, productive machines. I however would not want to run one myself as there just isn't enough steel in them for my liking and they are very, very expensive, when you consider what you actually get.

I am looking forward to seeing the Kinetic in May/June. I am also in Sweden in summer, and I shall pop over to see the Kranman facility. They might be crap, time will tell, but for me Alstor are a bit like Woodmizer. Great and indeed pioneering concept, but perhaps bettered by their competition?