Finance hassle

Mark Bolam

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whilst I agree that one can be vulnerable with too much debt, I would add that borrowing can be extremely effective if it is managed properly. (have you ever seen Dragons' Den?)

I know many in business who struggle away with low borrowings, getting absolutely nowhere, whereas others borrow to buy good kit and, with proper management, increase their turnover with a direct effect on profitability.

Exactly, they key is to identify a need or niche and take the plunge.

I know of several contractors who invested heavily in tree clearance machinery at a time of great uncertainty. Played the market right and are now pulling out of this area after decades of being the only people with this kit.

A mate got his wife a new car on the 0% credit card trick whilst she wasn't earning but needed transport. It worked for him okay, he paid off as much as he could every month and swapped the balance to another card when the deal expired. A small hassle but he got the car, paid for it in 3 years with no interest on the borrowing. Plus his credit rating went up because he cleared a portion off of the balance every month.

Edited by PeteB
spelling

Well i spoke to a leading high street bank today and they told me that they are still lending the same now as they were before? and offered me a stupid overdraft(we are talking K's) on a brand new business account with no business plan or history with that bank:confused1:

and offered me a stupid overdraft(we are talking K's) on a brand new business account with no business plan or history with that bank:confused1:

Yep, and then after a while they start reducing the overdraft if it looks like you're using it - they charge you for putting money in, charge you for taking it out and charge you when you run out :sneaky2: