Warning to anyone using the 'pinto' canopy anchor method

ANK

No.just put the end of your rope through the ring and pull the rope down until it get to the ground and lock it off with an alpine butterfly and biner.

I feel someone will come back with the cross loading scenario on that one. I personally don't think it's an issue and have used it before but I still prefer the pinto tie off.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Perhaps a krab in the eye of the butterfly?

This is the way I've been doing it before I got the pinto pulley. Just make sure the gate of the carabiner is away from the trunk to eliminate that slight chance of it opening itself if in doubt chuck another one in there. Or even a steel mallion with a small spanner attached to it.

What I want to know is how you ninjas are isolating an anchor point 70ft up to install the pinto! 😃😃 and getting the job done quick time! Definitely taking notes though incase I accidentally get a good throw bag shot!

Big shot. to be honest more often then not im base tying it then isolating my top anchor point when I get up there. Once I've got a good top anchor I get one of the boys on the ground to untie the basal anchor I also coil the dead end of the rope if it's a all day job just keeps it from getting dragged all over the worksite with the brush and it's easier for the groundies if they're not having to untangle it.

I'd agree with Ian flatters.

No offence Ian Clarke but that looks like Yale hedera, which is a 16 strand kernmantle type constructed rope.

I was under the impression 16 strand lines had most of their strength, approx 65-70% in their sheath.

While double braid are approx. 50/50 core/sheath strength.

That wouldn't pass a LOLER inspection now.

I was going to take a stab at Marlow Aeris 11.0 mm

Either way it wouldn't pass a Loler, not one of mine, anyway. 🙂

I feel someone will come back with the cross loading scenario on that one. I personally don't think it's an issue and have used it before but I still prefer the pinto tie off.

You can't cross load a ring..Thats all it is.i still use the pinto tie off to have have no worries using it.

You can't cross load a ring..Thats all it is.i still use the pinto tie off to have have no worries using it.

Nah I meant adding a biner to the system. Cross loading seems to be mentioned on most canopy anchors. Not saying it shouldn't be considered but it can be a bit ott at times. Amazing some people even leave the ground .

Nah I meant adding a biner to the system. Cross loading seems to be mentioned on most canopy anchors. Not saying it shouldn't be considered but it can be a bit ott at times. Amazing some people even leave the ground .

Maybe were both confused.The only biner is to back up the alpine butterfly.I agree some people faff around waaay to much

with the outer core broken it would not reduce the strength massively.

I would agree with steve that that amount of damage would probably not happened from pulling it up 70 ft.

was there any ropes running around the canopy.

sorry im not an srt climber so not sure of your set up and how it works.

glad your safe

Dude, please be careful about saying such things. That rope is severely damaged and has lost easily half its strength. It wouldn't take much to finish ripping the cover clean and sending it whizzing down the core. I have seen this kind of damage from retrieving a pinto anchor, seems like it may be a common flaw.