Warning to anyone using the 'pinto' canopy anchor method

ANK

Wow I've just brought a pinto pulley purely to have on my srt anchor that's unnerved me a bit now the whole concept of that style of anchor was eliminate rope on rope wear.

(Also I wouldn't climb on that rope anymore weather it would pass loler or not. It would always be on my mind . It's a ball ache to pay for a new one but for the sake of a 100 quid it's not worth hitting the deck over)

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow I've just brought a pinto pulley purely to have on my srt anchor that's unnerved me a bit now the whole concept of that style of anchor was eliminate rope on rope wear.

(Also I wouldn't climb on that rope anymore weather it would pass loler or not. It would always be on my mind . It's a ball ache to pay for a new one but for the sake of a 100 quid it's not worth hitting the deck over)

That is the best attitude the amount of money it would cost to replace is not worth the risk with your own life always be on side of safety its your life on the line

Id be careful with that kind of advice. Manufacturers clearly state what kind of damage would cause rope failure and cause rope strength reduction significantly.

I'd agree with Ian flatters.

No offence Ian Clarke but that looks like Yale hedera, which is a 16 strand kernmantle type constructed rope.

I was under the impression 16 strand lines had most of their strength, approx 65-70% in their sheath.

While double braid are approx. 50/50 core/sheath strength.

That wouldn't pass a LOLER inspection now.

I'd agree with Ian flatters.

No offence Ian Clarke but that looks like Yale hedera, which is a 16 strand kernmantle type constructed rope.

I was under the impression 16 strand lines had most of their strength, approx 65-70% in their sheath.

While double braid are approx. 50/50 core/sheath strength.

That wouldn't pass a LOLER inspection now.

hedera is a 24 strand double braid.

Regardless, damage like in that picture isn't good on any rope