flipline backup

RC0

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just watched some of the video , yes this is America but surely once someone starts climbing and working in the tree this is Arboriculture not forestry, most forestry is ground based! Wearing part on the five year old attachment this again would be highlighted through a thorough examination!

Use of two flip lines to back up to allow snagging would be solved by use of climbing line and also a lot easier and quicker to descend the tree if needed!

Just watched some of the video , yes this is America but surely once someone starts climbing and working in the tree this is Arboriculture not forestry, most forestry is ground based! Wearing part on the five year old attachment this again would be highlighted through a thorough examination!

Use of two flip lines to back up to allow snagging would be solved by use of climbing line and also a lot easier and quicker to descend the tree if needed!

No it isn't Arboriculture. Two different industries, both involve tree climbing, but with different regulations. Forestry, is basically harvesting. Tree climbing has been part of this process for about as long as it existed. It doesn't make you an arborist. You are still governed by forestry regs.

The particular work I was referring to is called single or standing stem harvesting. A rather less destructive alternative to clear-cutting.

The flipline was 5 years old, but was only used sporadically during that period. The two way snaps don't last forever, but the wear on the two parts is gradual, until one day they just don't work properly anymore. I didn't discover the wear by accident.

If you'd ever spent all day climbing and stripping 150ft conifers against the clock on a mountainside, you'd soon realise that the best place for your climb line is in a backpack out of the equation....until its time to rappel. Steel core fliplines are ideal for this type of work and trees because they are ridged and quick to advance.

i see where you're coming from Reg. Pines with a clear drop one, all thats needed is a flipline. Goes against the grain a bit with what HSE in the UK advises, but when I first started climbing thats all we used really if we werent carrying out arboriculture.

In logging, or forestry here Steve, you're not even required to use a climbing rope. Many guys don't, to keep the weight down. They're already carrying axes wedges, gas and oil, saws on their belts....while scaling huge trees. I can see the appeal in that....but in the event of an accident or emergency up there, Id at least want the option of being able rappel out of the tree on my own. Because the next climber could be 600 yards away.

Good idea reg , I will try this but got to admit I have stopped using my New England wire core for the reason of failure as you said..some one did give me recently a load of those big old sweedish strops which I quite like for brashing out Sitka as they snap every twig out the way as they are so heavy !we get asked to do thinning of mature Sitka and it can be easier just to climb off a single point side strop for most of the tree than the carry on of trying to winch it out once hung up felling it especially if there is no space .

Never liked or used those snap locks though.