ms200t chain brake issue

Tree Tastic Care

It's very, very common. Usually happens because the whole mechanism gets completely jammed up with sawdust and oil cement.

That's pretty much every machine & for a safety device, this part of the machine never seems to be maintained.

I keep the "bones" in stock as well as the flat springs. Both generally give up the ghost after long term abuse.

Oh, also keep chain catchers in stock as MS200s never seen to have them in one piece. I guess you climbers are just at one with danger and what the heck to a flailing chain or a sluggish chain brake:001_rolleyes:

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you got to ls engineers and search for 201t and then get parts dia you will what should and shouldnt be in there but even better if you have another 201t just have a look see to compare taking care when looking lol

You will need to use a MS200T diagram as its totally different to a MS201T in many respects. Replace the bone, brake band and flat spring

You will need to use a MS200T diagram as its totally different to a MS201T in many respects. Replace the bone, brake band and flat spring

lol oops typo reading too many post correct as u say use 200t for 200t and 201t for 201t and correct for every other saw make sure they are matched

Is it common for the bones to break? No pun intended lol

Exact same problem with one of my subbies 200T. The handle was packed out so solid with years of neglect and crud that he hadn't realised it was broken - the rubbish was actually keeping things in place. There was more than just one thing broken in there as well.

It was only because it started pouring out fuel up a tree and volunteered to strip it to do the carb seals (which were also shot) that I found the chain brake issue. It's a bugger to get back together. Major safety issue. Now the handles on all the saws are opened and cleaned every year.

Perils of buying second hand saws I suppose. You're buying someone else's neglect - OTOH how many people think to dismantle handles for cleaning? I took some pics on my phone and sent them to him while I was stripping it - I'll see if I can locate them.