What 1st hedge cutter and lawn mower?

Gez28

The izys don't rust any more than any other steel deck mower probably less! I've got 2 had one for 6 years used commercially for at least one full days worth of cutting a week.

They are as bomb proof as you can get for an inexpensive mower.

Sorry to disagree, but in my experience the Izy rots out faster than any other steel decked mower. Shame,as the mower is not too bad really.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sorry to disagree, but in my experience the Izy rots out faster than any other steel decked mower. Shame,as the mower is not too bad really.

Fair enough I'm only talking from the ones I've got to be fair and for a domestic machine they last ages giving the abuse I give mine.

My original one is going on for 7 years old and is not rusty as far as I know but then I've not looked under it for a long time as its not really used now!

My sister bought a champion thing for her tiny garden and it disintegrated in about 5 years!

Also how long should we expect a mower to last?

If I get 3 years from a 3-4 hundred mower I'm happy

Fair enough I'm only talking from the ones I've got to be fair and for a domestic machine they last ages giving the abuse I give mine.

My original one is going on for 7 years old and is not rusty as far as I know but then I've not looked under it for a long time as its not really used now!

My sister bought a champion thing for her tiny garden and it disintegrated in about 5 years!

Also how long should we expect a mower to last?

If I get 3 years from a 3-4 hundred mower I'm happy

If I am honest, there is no hard and fast rule as to how long they last. It depends on how they are looked after.

I have Izy mowers rust through in as little as six years, but have seen them over 15 yrs and near perfect still.

I have had mountfield and champion mowers also with the same extremes, but I really do find the Izy to be the worse one generally, despite having a heavier gauge deck.

But if you look after them well they will give adequate service.

If I am honest, there is no hard and fast rule as to how long they last. It depends on how they are looked after.

I have Izy mowers rust through in as little as six years, but have seen them over 15 yrs and near perfect still.

I have had mountfield and champion mowers also with the same extremes, but I really do find the Izy to be the worse one generally, despite having a heavier gauge deck.

But if you look after them well they will give adequate service.

You are looking after hundreds if not thousands of mowers making a living keeping old ones running as much as selling new ones I suppose. I'm using my stuff day in day out and only seeing how it holds up. I like the izy as it always starts and leave a good enough finish on the small gardens I use it in. I've painted the underside of the older one once with Hammerite after about 3 years. Mind you if I was to pressure wash the underside it could well drop to pieces proving me wrong.

I tend to buy a new mower of some sort each year so I don't use them long enough to rust through I suppose. it's going to be a 19 inch kaaz roller this year as I like the 21 but it's a bit big for some places.

Good choice on the Kaaz Rich. Its the best built mower on the market IMO. Just remember to give it a little shove forward as you engage the drive to the roller and you will never have any dog clutch wear.

Also best kept off wet and muddy lawns, the mud will pack in the bearings and seals and do no good.

With regards to deck rust, I certainly do not agree with painting the underside unless you have got rid of all the rust, and the only real way to do that is to sandblast. Otherwise the rust just continues to grow underneath the paint and can make matters worse.

A regular clean and a coat of waxoyl is favourite. I now use Wurth cavity wax in an aerosol, it seems to work well and is so easy to apply.

Good choice on the Kaaz Rich. Its the best built mower on the market IMO. Just remember to give it a little shove forward as you engage the drive to the roller and you will never have any dog clutch wear.

Also best kept off wet and muddy lawns, the mud will pack in the bearings and seals and do no good.

With regards to deck rust, I certainly do not agree with painting the underside unless you have got rid of all the rust, and the only real way to do that is to sandblast. Otherwise the rust just continues to grow underneath the paint and can make matters worse.

A regular clean and a coat of waxoyl is favourite. I now use Wurth cavity wax in an aerosol, it seems to work well and is so easy to apply.

I only painted it as I had a bit left from a metal gate I painted for someone left in the tin!

I should wash all the decks out more often to be honest.

What about the deck on the 21 kaaz roller just wash and let dry?

I've got a can of waxoyl somewhere would that be needed or not?

I know the Ali decks are not supposed to rust but aluminium does oxidise which is essentially the the same thing isn't it!

Just googled an image of the kaaz mower... Is it a rip off of the lawnflite or are they the same thing?

And just to add, the lawnflite mowers are like tanks. Weighty but stand up to a lot of abuse.

Just googled an image of the kaaz mower... Is it a rip off of the lawnflite or are they the same thing?

And just to add, the lawnflite mowers are like tanks. Weighty but stand up to a lot of abuse.

No the lawnflite is the rip off!!

Kaaz made these mowers first then Honda lawnflite cobra etc copied them under licence as they are so good!

I've got the lawnflite pro 21 roller like you say it's heavy but good

With hand mowers driven wheel we use World WYZ20H, cheapish Chinese units replace them after 2 years as by then they are worn out, In my opinion expensive small mowers are not worth the cost, our mowers wheels and decks wear out before the engines, after a couple of years its into the skip and start again, this way we have little or no down time on the smaller units

Irish Mowers - World petrol lawnmowers Ireland

With hand mowers driven wheel we use World WYZ20H, cheapish Chinese units replace them after 2 years as by then they are worn out, In my opinion expensive small mowers are not worth the cost, our mowers wheels and decks wear out before the engines, after a couple of years its into the skip and start again, this way we have little or no down time on the smaller units

Irish Mowers - World petrol lawnmowers Ireland

That's one way of looking at it it's going to cost either way. Buy cheap and replace or buy expensive to last.

I do think the expensive ones are probably cheaper in the long run as they should last 4 or 5 times as long as cheap ones. I'm an owner operator for the most part so mine get looked after.

Time will tell this year as I have 2 lads of the grass runs with me this year as I've had a load of contracts come through!!