Hi All,

A few of you will be aware that, for a few years now, I have been using Picus sonic tomography, combined with the tree statics model, to assess the fracture stability of trees.

A couple of months ago I purchased an alternative to the Picus - a Rinntech’s Arbotom impulse tomography unit. A little more information is available on my website:

The Arbotom | News | Think Trees

I have used the equipment quite a bit and I’m really pleased with the results that have been obtained with it. However, I would really like to test some trees that are due to be removed so that I can compare the tomogram (image showing the sound transmission properties of the cross-section) with the actual cross-section of the cut stem.

I am looking for trees of any species from approx. 40cm (16”) dbh upwards. If anyone is due to remove any trees in the East Herts, West Essex, High Wycombe or East Oxon areas, and would be happy for me to test them prior to their removal and then to view the cross sections after felling, please let me know. I would be very grateful.

Thanks in advance.

Paul

Sounds good. I will do, cheers 👍

If you're planning a road trip, Oldham/Manchester is on the way to Silky's. I'm sure we could put you up for a night or two. As long as you like cats and dogs.

On another note, an American company published a lot of results, using I think the picus, through one of the ISA regional magazines. (I came across it while researching an assignment) If you haven't read it I've probably got a link or downloaded everything)

It was interesting and may be helpful. Give us a shout if you need to.

Gary

Hi Gary,

Thanks very much for your kind offer. I may well take you up on it. Leave it with me. I'll keep in touch with you and Silky fox and maybe can sort something in a couple of months time?

It would be great if you could send me a link to the Picus research that you found.

All the best,

Paul