Do we basically dislike the new generations of saws?

MudRut

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had a mix of brand new saws and ebay buys, I love them both. My husky 254 xpg is my latest old favourite, but I equally love my 560 although yes warm starts have proved to be a pita.

I definitely agree with the comment about not buying the latest model just after it appears on the market, from experience in companies that have launched new products the first few months are very stressful, even when you think your R&D is perfect!

New generation all the way.

Once the manufactures have ironed out the faults!

The new m-tronic 201t is ace. The first 201 not so

The 150t is great

The 461 Stihl got right first time, and an improvement on the 460

Husky 560 is great

I panic brought one of the last of the 660's. Shouldn't have done that! Likewise a 460, but got a 461 anyway

New generation all the way.

Once the manufactures have ironed out the faults!

The new m-tronic 201t is ace. The first 201 not so

The 150t is great

The 461 Stihl got right first time, and an improvement on the 460

Husky 560 is great

I panic brought one of the last of the 660's. Shouldn't have done that! Likewise a 460, but got a 461 anyway

Agree on the 660

Have used a 661 a few weeks back felling on a 36" bar. It was a great saw! Do what you want and buy what you want, dont follow others

Had my 550xpg since 2012 and it has needed one brake band and that's it. Always starts, hot or cold. Makita 7900 is a new old style carb saw if you like and I love that also. Starts straight up, clears it's throat until warm and then rips away :thumbup1:

I wouldn't think twice about buying another modern auto-tune saw, but the maki has also shown me that the "traditional" saws have come on also. Will be looking at maki, dolmar, echo when/if the 550 dies.

depends on what its used for, arb saws last for year as id class it as light use even if used daily. Forestry felling is heavy use. I use an 2003 dolmar 7900 and an echo 610. I have had newer saws and the autotune was fine.

However i think the build quality especially of the big two has reduced to such an extent to make them unreliable and weaker while increasing the price.

Fine for arb work as the money is there to pay for new kit all the time. It will lose you your minor profit in forestry. :001_tongue:

I love my 560xp but have already found a few flaws with its design like the little pins on the starter recoil breaking if you forget to press the decompression button, even with good quality petrol and oil it can still be a pain to start if not used daily, I just wouldn't trust it hence the box of spares I need to carry with me. I also carry a few old school saws which are heavier and generally less powerful, but I have total confidence in them. Something to consider is this, are there that many c**p saws out there or just c**p owners who bought the wrong saw?

There is no choice but to take what's available. The new saws are what they are, I find them reliable. I use stihl and had one of the first 261s it lasted as long as I expected, and now have an mtronic 261 which is actually a really nice saw. Heavy forestry use they only last about a year, so you just have to go with what the manufacturers offer at the time. It's annoying when the models change as I build up a number of saws kept for parts.